Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo hosting sites.

Photo hosting sites.

The Vintage Monk

My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.

I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40

Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

Chris Malcolm

In rec.photo.digital The Vintage Monk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.

> I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40

> Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

What kind of entertainment do you find Flickr lacks?

--
Chris Malcolm http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

MaryL

"The Vintage Monk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4760e5a4$0$25531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.
>
> I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
>
> Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

I use PictureTrail. There is a free introductory period of about 30 days
(possibly longer -- I'm not sure about that). I think the "basic" is about
$20.00 a year, and there is an upgrade for about $30.00 a year.

MaryL

Stuffed Crust

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm The Vintage Monk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.
>
> I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
>
> Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

If you don't care about the social networking features they offer, why
not just host your own?

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^

Draco

On Dec 13, 2:56 am, The Vintage Monk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.
>
> I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
>
> Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

If I remember correctly, both have a free trail period. Both have good
hosting capabilities. Smugmug is a family run business and their
customer service, I'm told by others who are using them, is far better
than others they had tried.

Best I can offer is for you to contact the two and ask questions or
go to their web sites and determine which will be a better fit for you
and your photography.

I have talked with the folks at Smugmug and have always been treated
very well. Even when I keep asking questions that are answered on
their web site.

Good luck.

Draco

Douglas

"k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47625ef5$0$25522$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Stuffed Crust" <pizza@spam.****theusers.org> wrote in message
> news:4761476d$0$2353$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | In rec.photo.equipment.35mm The Vintage Monk
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> | > My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with
> Flickr.
> | >
> | > I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> | > They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
> | >
> | > Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out
> there?
> |
> | If you don't care about the social networking features they offer, why
> | not just host your own?
>

> good idea, and link to the FLIKR images that are already hosted there

He's unlikely to do that "K".

He is not known on flickr, and his address "the.monks.com" is a fraud. What
he's looking for is anonmous hosting so he can keep his identity concealed
but still have somewhere to display photos to those he doesn't hid from.

Douglas

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with
Flickr.

| > I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
| > They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
| >
| > Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out
there?

| If you don't care about the social networking features they offer, why
| not just host your own?

good idea, and link to the FLIKR images that are already hosted there

Atheist Chaplain

"Douglas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fjto34$g53$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:47625ef5$0$25522$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Stuffed Crust" <pizza@spam.****theusers.org> wrote in message
>> news:4761476d$0$2353$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Flickr.

>> there?
>> |
>> | If you don't care about the social networking features they offer, why
>> | not just host your own?
>>

>> good idea, and link to the FLIKR images that are already hosted there

> He's unlikely to do that "K".
>
> He is not known on flickr, and his address "the.monks.com" is a fraud.
> What he's looking for is anonmous hosting so he can keep his identity
> concealed but still have somewhere to display photos to those he doesn't
> hid from.
>
> Douglas

his email add is only as fraudulent as yours Douggie, or maybe you can tell
me where the.groups is??

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

Annika1980

wrote:
> My account with Flickr is up in January and have become bored with Flickr.
>
> I was told either Smugmug or Pbase are the ones to go for.
> They both seem to have accounts for around $30-40
>
> Which of these two would you recommend or is there a better one out there?

PBase. I pay $23 a year. I prefer the look and feel of it.
Flickr looks like a cheapo Geocities or GoDaddy site by comparison.

The Vintage Monk

Atheist Chaplain wrote:
> "Douglas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fjto34$g53$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:47625ef5$0$25522$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Stuffed Crust" <pizza@spam.****theusers.org> wrote in message
>>> news:4761476d$0$2353$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Flickr.

>>> there?

>>> good idea, and link to the FLIKR images that are already hosted there

>> He's unlikely to do that "K".
>>
>> He is not known on flickr, and his address "the.monks.com" is a fraud.
>> What he's looking for is anonmous hosting so he can keep his identity
>> concealed but still have somewhere to display photos to those he
>> doesn't hid from.
>>
>> Douglas
>>

> his email add is only as fraudulent as yours Douggie, or maybe you can
> tell me where the.groups is??

Is he still around? Didn't he say 3 weeks ago the boat would be off the
slips and he was off to the Reef to study some fish and 'not give the
cretins in here a second thought'?

It is surprising the lies you miss out on when you have him killfiled.

I am not on Flickr? HEY? Oh that's right we are talking about Dogless,
I forgot what he is imagines in his brain is classed as FACT.
AND the.monks.com is a fraud. I am glad I stressed him out enough to
look it up.
Must be good to be so quiet in the busiest wedding period of the year.

I love the but about me keeping my identity anonymous, that is why I go
to the Flickr Australian Photographers meet ups with a bag on my head so
they don't know who I am.

Back to the cellar with the kiddies Dogless, oh **** that was another
lie from Dogless, unless the boat has a cellar with kiddies in it.