Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Running sound to stereo

Running sound to stereo

Jeepwolf

Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
instead of my tv? I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
I do that? I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
the usual antenna/cable inputs.

I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?

JW

xeaglecrest@att.net

Jeepwolf wrote:

> Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
> instead of my tv? I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
> Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
> I do that? I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
> my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
> going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
> to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
> the usual antenna/cable inputs.
>
> I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
> correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?
>
> JW

Are you sure your stereo does not have any video inputs? If it does,
then run the video/audio from your DVD and VHS players to the stereo,
and then hook the video/audio outputs of your stereo to your TV.
Normally, you would leave the audio on the TV turned down, and listen
to the audio from the stereo.

If your stereo does not have any video inputs, and only has one set
of audio inputs, then you could buy a video distrubition amp. (Radio
Shack has them). Plug your DVD and VHS into it, and run the amps
video to the TV and the audio to your Stereo.

And, of course, it your stereo has DD5.1 input, then you would want
to use it for your DVD player.
-Bill

PapaBear

Yes, of course, your audio can go to any audio device, to your stereo or a
home theater system, or whatever. It depends on what kinds of connectors
they each have available, input and output. For example you might run the
audio from your VCR to the TV, but the audio from your DVD player to your
stereo. Or if your DVD player has audio input jacks, you could run the VCR
into your DVD player, and the DVD player either into your TV or your stereo.
The best way to find out is to experiment. Try it, and see if it works.

Another possibility... If you don't have a home theater system, Walmart has
some cheap ones, such as Durabrand which I'm using. Mine is just the
speakers and amplifier, not a DVD player, so you can use whatever DVD player
your already have. It has two sets of input connectors so you can hook up
two different audio inputs, then switch between them with a remote control.
Whenever buying, look at the back of the units to see what kinds of
connectors they actually have available. Don't trust the box or online
specs, which are often wrong in my experience!

"Jeepwolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
> instead of my tv? I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
> Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
> I do that? I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
> my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
> going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
> to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
> the usual antenna/cable inputs.
>
> I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
> correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?
>
> JW

Gary A. Edelstein

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:29:56 -0600, Jeepwolf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
>instead of my tv?

Yes. What model receiver do you have and what inputs does it provide?

>I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
>Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
>I do that?

The only advantage to running the video through the typical lower cost
A/V receiver is convenience switching of the same type of video
sources. For example, if you run the composite video and analog audio
from the DVD player and the VCR through the receiver, and the monitor
out to the TV, then you can switch the audio and video at the same
time with the receiver remote.

If the receiver doesn't have video switching or you only want to run
one source through it, don't bother.

>I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
>my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
>going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
>to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
>the usual antenna/cable inputs.
>
>I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
>correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?

Yes, if you want to hook up the analog audio from a source to both the
TV and the receiver you can with y-jacks or a switch box. Radio
Shack, for one, sells both.

If the receiver has a digital audio input, then use that for the DVD
player. Given you said it was only a 'stereo', it likely isn't an A/V
receiver with a digital audio input and only has analog L/R (white and
red RCA (AKA phono) plugs) inputs. The analog audio out from the DVD
player is a line level out and can be plugged into any line level
input, such as AUX, Tape, VCR, or CD, but not a phono (turntable)
input.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|(E-Mail Removed) (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Jeepwolf

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:19:34 -0600, Gary A. Edelstein
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:29:56 -0600, Jeepwolf <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
>>instead of my tv?
>>

>Yes. What model receiver do you have and what inputs does it provide?
>
>>I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
>>Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
>>I do that?
>>

>The only advantage to running the video through the typical lower cost
>A/V receiver is convenience switching of the same type of video
>sources. For example, if you run the composite video and analog audio
>from the DVD player and the VCR through the receiver, and the monitor
>out to the TV, then you can switch the audio and video at the same
>time with the receiver remote.
>
>If the receiver doesn't have video switching or you only want to run
>one source through it, don't bother.
>
>>I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
>>my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
>>going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
>>to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
>>the usual antenna/cable inputs.
>>
>>I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
>>correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?
>>

>Yes, if you want to hook up the analog audio from a source to both the
>TV and the receiver you can with y-jacks or a switch box. Radio
>Shack, for one, sells both.
>
>If the receiver has a digital audio input, then use that for the DVD
>player. Given you said it was only a 'stereo', it likely isn't an A/V
>receiver with a digital audio input and only has analog L/R (white and
>red RCA (AKA phono) plugs) inputs. The analog audio out from the DVD
>player is a line level out and can be plugged into any line level
>input, such as AUX, Tape, VCR, or CD, but not a phono (turntable)
>input.
>
>Gary E

The stereo is from the 60's. One of those old and well made systems
that has lots of power. But it dont have any video inputs.

Thanks for all the help.

Wally

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:49:07 -0600, Jeepwolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The stereo is from the 60's. One of those old and well made systems
>that has lots of power. But it dont have any video inputs.
>
>Thanks for all the help.

I have a Sansui 5000A that I bought in 1969.

I put two "Y" cords out of the DVD player. One set to the TV and one
set to the stereo.

I can use the TV, the stereo, or both and set the volume independently
on each.

Works great.

You need an audio input on your stereo, of course and a switch to switch
to that input.