Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD subtitles

DVD subtitles

Dino M

I would like to know if there is any way of checking if a DVD (or in my case
a DVD box set) has subtitles.

The reason I ask is that my Grandmother would like the Carry On Box Set,
which has 30 films, but she is totally deaf so requires subtitles so she can
read them.

I have looked on a couple of sites which list the set, but they do not say
if it has subtitles or not.

If anyone knows a way of checking this then please let me know on here.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Stan Brown

Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:58:32 GMT from Dino M <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I would like to know if there is any way of checking if a DVD (or in my case
> a DVD box set) has subtitles.
>
> The reason I ask is that my Grandmother would like the Carry On Box Set,
> which has 30 films, but she is totally deaf so requires subtitles so she can
> read them.

Are you in the US? You need to check for subtitles *and* for closed
captions.

Much to my surprise, the /Yes, Minister/ and /Yes, Prime Minister/
series, both BBC productions, lack subtitles but do have closed
captions.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Kuskokwim

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:58:32 GMT, Dino M wrote:

> I would like to know if there is any way of checking if a DVD (or in my case
> a DVD box set) has subtitles.

If you look at the Carry On collection here you will notice it says NO
closed captioned:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...&extid=df00021
If that link does not work for you:
http://tinyurl.com/2rxf4t

Wesley Mead ('Wezzo')

Hi,

Based on your e-mail address, I'm guessing you're in the UK, in which
case you'll be after the R2 UK set.

I'm not sure whether the set has subtitles and can't find any info about
it on the internet. (I managed to find a copy of the back cover but
there's no mention of subtitles; I think that stuff is on the bottom of
the box in this case).

> I would like to know if there is any way of checking if a DVD (or in my case
> a DVD box set) has subtitles.
>
> The reason I ask is that my Grandmother would like the Carry On Box Set,
> which has 30 films, but she is totally deaf so requires subtitles so she can
> read them.
>
> I have looked on a couple of sites which list the set, but they do not say
> if it has subtitles or not.
>
> If anyone knows a way of checking this then please let me know on here.
>
> Thanks to anyone that can help.

mitech@webtv.net

Some DVD players have the "closed caption " feature so in your grandmas
case she would be able to read the dialogue of the movie she is
watching.If her DVD player does not have this feature I'm sure you could
purchase a player that does at a reasonable price.