Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > HELP - stupid mistake on PIX

HELP - stupid mistake on PIX

Mike W.

Hey everyone,

I was trying to make some changes to a PIX 506 down in NY (I'm in CT), and I
just lost access.

I was trying to setup for the VPN client access, and added a VLAN ID to the
eth0 interface (lousy 2 interface device > ) As soon as I did that, my
Putty session got booted.

My Question: Seeing as though I only added the command, I did not do a
Write mem after it, will the PIX discard that command after a certain amount
of time? Or am I SOL?

I know the session will time out, but will the command stay in the running
config? I can't connect via anything right now...

Help?

Thanks,

Mike

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike W. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I was trying to make some changes to a PIX 506 down in NY (I'm in CT), and I
>just lost access.

>My Question: Seeing as though I only added the command, I did not do a
>Write mem after it, will the PIX discard that command after a certain amount
>of time? Or am I SOL?

It might time out the session and log you out, but the command will
stay active until the next reboot.

>Help?

Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?

Mike W.

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> It might time out the session and log you out, but the command will
> stay active until the next reboot.
>
>>Help?

> Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?

Arrgh....that's what I figured.

At this point, I'll be able to get there tomorrow morning before anyone else
can.

Looks like I'm taking the early train....

Thanks Walter.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike W. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Can you have someone in NY power-cycle the device?

>Looks like I'm taking the early train....

I suggest you consider a remote boot product, and possibly
a remote console product as well.

For small operations that do not involve very tight security
requirements, synaccess-net.com's NPC (Power and Console combined)
are very cost effective. If you need tighter security on the
remote device itself, then the costs (from other vendors) are
noticably higher.

Wil

Routers have the reload command which you can schedule for a later date,
for example "reload in 5" will reboot the router in 5 minutes.

AFAIK it is not implimented in the PIX.

-Wil

stupid mistake? David Schwartz XML 6 09-18-2007 05:17 PM
My stupid newbie mistake Matt Feinstein Python 3 04-11-2005 03:42 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Probably a Stupid Mistake Materialised C++ 6 10-22-2004 03:55 PM

Advertisments