Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't read card

Can't read card

GregS

My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
can only do anything with the camera.

Updated drivers ??

greg

ray

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:11:02 +0000, GregS wrote:

> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
> can only do anything with the camera.
>
> Updated drivers ??
>
> greg

FWIW: my Epson Stylus Photo R320 and my computers have no
problems with my 2gb SD cards.

mscotgrove@aol.com

On Dec 12, 6:34 pm, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:11:02 +0000, GregS wrote:
> > My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
> > can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
> > can only do anything with the camera.

> > Updated drivers ??

> > greg

> FWIW: my Epson Stylus Photo R320 and my computers have no
> problems with my 2gb SD cards.

Does the computer recognise that the card is there, but not see any
files. If this is the case, it could be that the card is corrupted.
A demo of my data recovery program www.cnwrecovery.com will show
photos if it is just a corruption. If I understand your posting, it
does appear that the camera will read the card - this gives more
wieight to the idea that the card is physically OK, but logically
corrupted.

I have not come across any problems with card reads and the capacity
of the card, 2GB in this case, and card readers do not need device
drivers, assuming you are using 2000 or XP (or Vista).

If the card cannot be seen by the card reader then it is likely to be
physically damaged chip - I am not sure if recovery will be possible.

Michael

tomcas

GregS wrote:
> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
> can only do anything with the camera.
>
> Updated drivers ??
>
> greg

Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

tnom@mucks.net

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:02:50 -0500, tomcas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GregS wrote:
>> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
>> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
>> can only do anything with the camera.
>>
>> Updated drivers ??
>>
>> greg

>Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

If the files can't be read now they certainly won't be read after a
format.

gerrit

"tomcas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:476084bf$0$5955$(E-Mail Removed)...
> GregS wrote:
> > My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
> > can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
> > can only do anything with the camera.
> >
> > Updated drivers ??
> >
> > greg

> Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

Before doing that I would connect the camera to the computer to download any
photos you want to keep!

stratus46@yahoo.com

On Dec 12, 5:21 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:02:50 -0500, tomcas
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >GregS wrote:
> >> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
> >> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
> >> can only do anything with the camera.

> >> Updated drivers ??

> >> greg

> >Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

> If the files can't be read now they certainly won't be read after a
> format.

Sure they will. Try PhotoRescue. Formatting a card does not write the
whole card. The data areas are left alone. I bought a 'new' card on
eBay which had been formatted but there were many photos on it.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

GG

GregS

In article <476084bf$0$5955$(E-Mail Removed)>, tomcas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>GregS wrote:
>> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
>> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
>> can only do anything with the camera.
>>
>> Updated drivers ??
>>
>> greg

>Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

I am going to try that.

greg

GregS

In article <fjrcs4$php$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GregS) wrote:
>In article <476084bf$0$5955$(E-Mail Removed)>, tomcas
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>GregS wrote:
>>> My Canon IP6000D printer can not read my 2 GB SD card. Neither
>>> can my card reader in one computer. 16 MB card works fine. I
>>> can only do anything with the camera.
>>>
>>> Updated drivers ??
>>>
>>> greg

>>Have you tried reformatting the card in the camera?

>I am going to try that.
>
>greg

That didn't work. Current computer using W2K. My
other computer has XP and a multi card reader. Trouble is, the multiple
card reader takes up 4 drive letters. Running Novell with Windows
is a real pain, because Novell wants one of the drive letters. Its
a big problem using that computer. Best thing for
me is to get rid of the card reader.

greg

Jürgen Exner

GregS wrote:
> other computer has XP and a multi card reader. Trouble is, the
> multiple card reader takes up 4 drive letters. Running Novell with
> Windows is a real pain, because Novell wants one of the drive
> letters. Its a big problem using that computer. Best thing for
> me is to get rid of the card reader.

Why not just disable those slots in the card reader that you don't need?
- "My Computer"
- right click on any drive and select "Properties"
- select tab "Hardware"
- select the card reader slot that you don't need and click on "Properties"
- at the bottom of the new dialog under "Device usage" select "Do not use
this device (disable)"
- and click "ok"

And voila, that slot doesn't take up a drive letter any longer.

jue