Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla claims profile is running when not

Mozilla claims profile is running when not

Robert Folan-Johsnon

Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,

I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.

After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?

Rofojo

David Harrison

Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
>
> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
>
> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
>
> Rofojo

It _is_ still running, but in the background. In Windows, hit
Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Task Manager. Select the panel marked
'Processes' and look for Mozilla (or Firefox, or what-have-you). Click
the 'End Process' button. You should now be OK.

In Linux (if memory serves), you'll have to do a ps command to find the
process number, then issue a kill command to do the dirty on that process.

Hope this helps,

David H

gwtc

Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
>
> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
>
> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
>
> Rofojo

David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA

ANC

gwtc wrote:

> Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
>> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
>>
>> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
>>
>> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
>> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
>> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
>>
>> Rofojo

> David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA

If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is to
make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it off...
and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'

anc

Moz Champion (Dan)

Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
>
> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
>
> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I
> have to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
>
> Rofojo

Note:

using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
closing the program, it is simply closing the window
If you want to exit the program use File-->Exit
I propose that if you use File-->Exit instead of <Red/Black X> (Close
Window) your problems will disappear.

Moz Champion (Dan)

ANC wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>

>> Robert Folan-Johsnon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mozilla fellow lovers,
>>>
>>> I have a feeling this problem has already been aired here but here goes.
>>>
>>> After I close Mozilla, or it freezes and closes, I cannot access my
>>> profile again as mozilla claims it is still running. As a result I have
>>> to reboot the system to get in again. Any solutions?
>>>
>>> Rofojo
>>>

>> David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA
>>

> If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is to
> make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it off...
> and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
>
> anc

Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.

Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
closing the visible window
To exit the program use File-->Exit

A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
the program as well.

If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit

The above is for windows
On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
running..

ANC

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> ANC wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> David has told you what to do, and I'll tell you that its a known PITA
>>>

>> If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is
>> to make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it
>> off... and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
>>
>> anc
>>

> Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
> closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.
>
> Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
> closing the visible window
> To exit the program use File-->Exit
>
> A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
> hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
> there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
> Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
> the program as well.
>
> If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
> If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit
>
> The above is for windows
> On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
> Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
> use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
> menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
> present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
> running..

In Linux, closing the window closes Firefox... except when it doesn't.

ANC

Moz Champion (Dan)

ANC wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>

>> ANC wrote:

>>> If there is ONE thing that many FF users wish the developers would do is
>>> to make this whole multiple profile thing an OPTION so we can turn it
>>> off... and not have FF check to see if it is already 'in play.'
>>>
>>> anc
>>>

>> Its not a multiple profile 'thing' - its because the program isnt
>> closed- its still running, ergo the profile is in use.
>>
>> Close Window (Red/Black X) is NOT closing the program, its simply
>> closing the visible window
>> To exit the program use File-->Exit
>>
>> A Close Window (Red/Black X) will close the program IF there are no
>> hidden processes running - the fact that the OP reports that FF is still
>> there in task manager shows that there ARE hidden processes running.
>> Using File-->Exit closes ALL windows and terminates all processess by
>> the program as well.
>>
>> If you want to close the window, use Red/Black X (Close Window)
>> If you want to exit the program, use File-->Exit
>>
>> The above is for windows
>> On Macs its Firefox-->Quit
>> Note, on the mac its quite evident the program is still running when you
>> use the close window command (upper left on mac) because the (Firefox)
>> menu stays across the top of the screen - in Windows that menu is
>> present within the window, so its not apparent that the program is still
>> running..
>>

> In Linux, closing the window closes Firefox... except when it doesn't.
>
> ANC

I dont have a copy of Linux, so I wouldnt know. But I suggest there
might be a quit or exit command in one of the menus, dependent on the
dictates of the people who set Linux standards.

If closing the window doesnt always work, as you infer, then look around
for a 'exit' or 'quit' command in one of the menus, that will exit or
quit the program. Let me know will you?

bob

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Note:
>
> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the
gadget/menu is irrelevant a majority of the time. something,
somewhere deep in the shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs
around when it shouldn't. i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension
that is hosing something in the system. the next time this problem
happens to me i'm going to hit it with the excellent "Process
Explorer 9.25" from Sysinternals. maybe something will become obvious...

bob

Ed Mullen

bob wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Note:
>>
>> using the CLOSE window (Red/Black X in upper right corner) is NOT
>> closing the program, it is simply closing the window

> nope. i can successfully close my Firefox (1.7.12 Gecko/20050915) 99
> times out of 100 using the close gadget. whether using the gadget/menu
> is irrelevant a majority of the time. something, somewhere deep in the
> shitty Windows guts, something dies and hangs around when it shouldn't.
> i'm leaning towards a f*cked up extension that is hosing something in
> the system. the next time this problem happens to me i'm going to hit it
> with the excellent "Process Explorer 9.25" from Sysinternals. maybe
> something will become obvious...
>
> bob

I've never had this problem with Firefox on any of my Win XP boxes (nor
the memory problems either). Clicking the close widget always exits the
program. Process Explorer shows the following processes under Firefox
identified as from either Mozilla Corp. or Netscape Corp.:

jar50.dll
js3250.dll
nspr4.dll
nss3.dll
nssckbi.dll
plc4.dll
plds4.dll
smime3.dll
softokn3.dll
ssl3.dll
xpcom_compat.dll
xpcom_core.dll

It's also hooked into various Windows resources as well. FWIW.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net