Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP 64 Emulating 32bit Mode

Windows XP 64 Emulating 32bit Mode

tekki

When installing an application on Windows under these circumstances, by
running a setup.exe application, drivers and utility included. Will the EXE
automatically run the installation for the 32 bit drivers or will it continue
to install the drivers for XP64?

S.SubZero

Since XP64 cannot use 32-bit drivers, it will refuse to install or use
them.

Charlie Russel - MVP

64-bit Windows can not and will not use 32-bit system level drivers. If your
application requires a system level driver, and the vendor hasn't provided a
64-bit version of the driver, you're out of luck. (Most applications have no
need a system level drivers, and have no issue at all with installing in
64-bit Windows.)

The installer for your 32-bit application should install the necessary
64-bit drivers if it needs them, _and the vendor supports 64bit with the
correct drivers_. (An example of this can be seen from many of the A-V
programs out there that support 64-bit Windows, but whose underlying
applications have remained predominantly 32-bit.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...