Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird Junk Mail Controls stopped working.

Thunderbird Junk Mail Controls stopped working.

David Ellis

I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Leonidas Jones

David Ellis wrote:
> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
Also, make sure the default settings are correct in Tools>>Options>>Privacy.

Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
over with training.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

kaplan3jiim@example.com

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>David Ellis wrote:
>> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
>> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
>> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

>In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
>Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
>Also, make sure the default settings are correct in Tools>>Options>>Privacy.
>
>Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
>Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
>over with training.
>
>Lee

Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
unchanged as they should be.

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> David Ellis wrote:
>> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
>> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
>> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

> In TB 2.0, the Junk settings are on an account by account basis, in
> Account Settings. First, make suer the accounts are set up correctly.
> Also, make sure the default settings are correct in
> Tools>>Options>>Privacy.
>
> Assuming the settings are correct, you may need to click the Reset
> Training Data button. This basically erases the filters and you start
> over with training.

As Lee said, you may need to reset and retrain the filter. As time goes
on the spammers change tactics and the content of their spam in ways
that make a filter less effective simply because it is no longer seeing
the same "clues" that would tell it a message is spam.

Retraining is the only resort.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Anthony

On Dec 11 2007, 11:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >David Ellis wrote:
> >> I updated T'bird to the latest rendition and my junk mail controls
> >> stopped. Now I must wade through the entire list and sort out the junk
> >> mail manually. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

> Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
> effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
> unchanged as they should be.

I've had an odd incident along these lines. My Junk mail stopped
working (well, caught about .05% of junk mails) as of Dec 24 2007. I
debated un- and reinstalling for days (I was off for a two week
vacation) and never did. Now, today, Jan 3 2008, it's working again.
NO updates to the client (same version as when it stopped working).
This is just bizarre.

Anthony
www.Malena.net

kaplan3jiim@example.com

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:03:30 -0800 (PST), Anthony <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 11 2007, 11:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:35:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> Mine didn't stop working but they seem to have become much less
>> effective with the recent upgrade - more gets missed. The setting are
>> unchanged as they should be.

>I've had an odd incident along these lines. My Junk mail stopped
>working (well, caught about .05% of junk mails) as of Dec 24 2007. I
>debated un- and reinstalling for days (I was off for a two week
>vacation) and never did. Now, today, Jan 3 2008, it's working again.
>NO updates to the client (same version as when it stopped working).
>This is just bizarre.
>
>Anthony

Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
be catching most things again.

Jim

northshorefiend

> Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
> immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
> be catching most things again.
>
> Jim

How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
as spam into the junk folder?

It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

northshorefiend

On Jan 9, 12:25 pm, northshorefiend <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> > Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
> > immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
> > be catching most things again.

> > Jim

> How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
> as spam into the junk folder?
>
> It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
> be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

Found it, sorry!

under Account Settings > junk settings

a pointer under privacy > junk would be nice!

Justin

northshorefiend wrote on [Wed, 9 Jan 2008 04:28:39 -0800 (PST)]:
> On Jan 9, 12:25 pm, northshorefiend <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> > Had the same problem here. Occurred some time after an upgrade (not
>> > immediately). I reset the training and after a week or so it seems to
>> > be catching most things again.

>> > Jim

>> How do you get Thunderbird to automatically move emails IT identifies
>> as spam into the junk folder?
>>
>> It's all well and good correctly telling spam from ham, but it would
>> be great if it actually did the useful bit of moving it to Junk!

> Found it, sorry!
>
> under Account Settings > junk settings
>
> a pointer under privacy > junk would be nice!

It is under privacy->Junk