Velocity Reviews > Reviews > Thermaltake ToughPower 550 Power Supply

Article Tools

Thermaltake ToughPower 550 Power Supply

Thermaltake ToughPower 550 Power Supply Article Author : unholy
Date :

Introduction

Today we are here to look at the new Thermaltake ToughPower 550, which of course is a power supply if you didn't already know. The ToughPower is a SLi/Crossfire Power Supply with the rest, including two 12 volt rails and a 20+4 pin ATX Connector.

Packaging

What's in the box

In the box is:
  • ToughPower 550 Power Supply Unit
  • Manual
  • Screws
  • Power Cable

Specifications
  • Max Power:550 Watts
  • Switches: ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch
  • Colour: Black Gloss
  • PFC: Active (230V model only)
  • Cooling System: 120mm Fan (2200 RPM / 76.63 CFM)
  • Noise: 17dB at 1300rpm
  • PG Signal: 100-500ms
  • Over Voltage +5v: 5.7v Min, 6.2 Max
  • Over Voltage +3.3v: 3.7v Min, 4.1 Max
  • Over Voltage +12v1&2: 13.3v Min, 14.3 Max
  • Unit Size: 15cm(L)x14cm(W)x8.5cm(H)
  • Weight: 2.13kg
  • Input Voltage: 230 VAC (w/PFC), 115VAC/230VAC (wo/PFC)
  • Input Freq: 50~60 Hz
  • Input Current: 12A/6A
  • Hold-Up Time: 17ms (aka if the power goes off for less then 17ms then your computer will stay on)
  • Efficiency: >80%
The ToughPower

The ToughPower 550 is a nice glossy box with wires hanging out, it also has a side picture advertising the product. Although it might seem good on paper, I had problems fitting the power supply in.

The ToughPower 550 is not a modular power supply so according to what most people say, it has a higher efficiency then a modular psu. Although it does have cable sleeving and long wires.

Cable Connectors:
  • 2x 4 Molex, 1 Floppy
  • 2x 2 Sata
  • 2x PCI-E
  • 4 Pin ATX
  • 20+4 pin ATX

Power Output Specs:
  • +12v1: 19A
  • +12v2: 19A
  • +5v: 40A
  • +3.3v: 32A
  • +5v SB: 2A
  • -12v: 1A
As you can see this power supply will definitely support a SLi system.

Installation

Installing the PSU was quite simple, although i did have problems installing in to my Cooler Master Praetorian Case, as u need to slide it in the back and the side picture scratches.

Results

Test Computer:Testing:
  • Power Supply ran through a UPS on battery
  • Voltage Measured for 10 minutes, Load and Idle

Conclusion

This power supply isn't to bad, although it does jitter quite a bit it is still about as close to the right voltage as you need.

Thermaltake did make a mistake when they decided to put the picture on the side, because some people might not be able to install it without troubles.

Pros (+):
  • Reasonably low Jitter and close to standard voltage requirements
  • Cable Sleeved
  • EZ Connectors
  • APFC (230V Model only)
  • 20+4 Pin