Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Web based page design tools.

Web based page design tools.

Mufasa

I have a group of people at work (Marketing) who have asked 'Why does it
take so long to develop a 'simple' web site when we can just go on-line and
use a tool to create one?'

I point out that the one's on-line can't add the extra functionality that a
'programmed' web site can. But other than that, I'm really kind of at a
lose.

So the question is, does anybody know of any good tools where people can
'edit' websites with have little or no knowledge of how to do it.

I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
like to host it on our server.

TIA - Jeff.

There are plenty of tools such as Microsoft FrontPage (which has now been
replaced by Expression Web) that allow novices to create web pages.
However, they also tend to have significant limitations. That is the
trade-off and there is no way around it.
This is why we web developers still have jobs!

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"Mufasa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a group of people at work (Marketing) who have asked 'Why does it
>take so long to develop a 'simple' web site when we can just go on-line and
>use a tool to create one?'
>
> I point out that the one's on-line can't add the extra functionality that
> a 'programmed' web site can. But other than that, I'm really kind of at a
> lose.
>
> So the question is, does anybody know of any good tools where people can
> 'edit' websites with have little or no knowledge of how to do it.
>
> I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
> like to host it on our server.
>
> TIA - Jeff.

Mufasa

I understand that completely. It's one of the arguments we have. I was in a
meeting this morning where essentially marketing was saying 'Why does it
take so long to create the websites?' I would just assume give it to them
and let them deal with the problems.

And when it doesn't work, it's there problem.

J.

"Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are plenty of tools such as Microsoft FrontPage (which has now been
> replaced by Expression Web) that allow novices to create web pages.
> However, they also tend to have significant limitations. That is the
> trade-off and there is no way around it.
> This is why we web developers still have jobs!
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr,
> MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASPInsider
> http://SteveOrr.net
> http://iPhonePlaza.net
>

> "Mufasa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a group of people at work (Marketing) who have asked 'Why does it
>>take so long to develop a 'simple' web site when we can just go on-line
>>and use a tool to create one?'
>>
>> I point out that the one's on-line can't add the extra functionality that
>> a 'programmed' web site can. But other than that, I'm really kind of at a
>> lose.
>>
>> So the question is, does anybody know of any good tools where people can
>> 'edit' websites with have little or no knowledge of how to do it.
>>
>> I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
>> like to host it on our server.
>>
>> TIA - Jeff.

Scott Roberts

>>I have a group of people at work (Marketing) who have asked 'Why does it
>>take so long to develop a 'simple' web site when we can just go on-line
>>and use a tool to create one?'
>>
>> I point out that the one's on-line can't add the extra functionality that
>> a 'programmed' web site can. But other than that, I'm really kind of at a
>> lose.
>>
>> So the question is, does anybody know of any good tools where people can
>> 'edit' websites with have little or no knowledge of how to do it.
>>
>> I've seen some web sites that will do it but they also host the site. I'd
>> like to host it on our server.

Maybe you are looking for something like http://www.TemplateMonster.com?

I will say, however, that most of the templates seem to lend themselves to
"static" sites. I've used a couple of templates over the years and spend a
lot of time trying not to mess up the template when I add dynamic
functionality.

John Timney \(MVP\)

Your probably arguing against people who don't actually undertsand what they
are asking for. If all they want is a few pages, then any online site
builder will do - but they rarely actually do. If they want a custom brand,
that works with accessibility requirements, has forms and manages an element
of business logic then they are running into different ground, as whatever
they see as a simple site now needs specilaist design skills. Add to this
the requirement many companies have for content management, in that once the
design is done they want to be able to add content quickly and you have gone
way past the cosmetic design into application development, or at least
templated development as supported by many online CMS solutions and having
to get a CMS system setup and potentially integrated with their simple site.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog