Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > 101VB Samples

101VB Samples

Jerome

Hi,
Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB samples)
to work?
I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from the
start:

Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.

PLUS....
My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
it has blown up to about twice the original size;
sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment "Cannot
find adventureworks.mdf";
there are now 3 log files;
no more tables in the database are accessible;

Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs is
impossible: "File not found" !!??

The original conn.string from MS:
Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWor ks_Data.mdf;Integrated
Security=True;User Instance=True

After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
conn.string to:
Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrate d Security=True

and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about the
coluimns remain

I tried with some other (disposable ) mdf files and it seems that when
selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as source this
corruption ALWAYS happens
When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to work
ok

Any ideas somebody?

Config :
VS 2005 Pro
Sqlserver Express 2005
Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Jerome

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Jerome,

From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70% not
working.

It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install that.

I have reported that.

The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.

I hope this gives an idea.

Cor

"Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:y%lMf.281255$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> Hi,
> Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
> samples) to work?
> I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from
> the start:
>
> Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
> Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.
>
> PLUS....
> My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
> it has blown up to about twice the original size;
> sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment "Cannot
> find adventureworks.mdf";
> there are now 3 log files;
> no more tables in the database are accessible;
>
> Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs
> is impossible: "File not found" !!??
>
> The original conn.string from MS:
> Data
> Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWor ks_Data.mdf;Integrated
> Security=True;User Instance=True
>
> After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
> conn.string to:
> Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrate d Security=True
>
> and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about the
> coluimns remain
>
> I tried with some other (disposable ) mdf files and it seems that when
> selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as source this
> corruption ALWAYS happens
> When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to work
> ok
>
> Any ideas somebody?
>
> Config :
> VS 2005 Pro
> Sqlserver Express 2005
> Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>
> Thanks in advance for suggestions
>
> Jerome

Jerome

Thanks Cor, that explains a lot.

Just still one thing that bothers me is the corruption of the db when using
"Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\.......User Instance=True"
This does not happen with "Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=....."
Is this also a remaining of the 'Beta' version?

Regards
Jerome

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jerome,
>
> From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70%
> not working.
>
> It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install
> that.
>
> I have reported that.
>
> The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.
>
> I hope this gives an idea.
>
> Cor
>

> "Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:y%lMf.281255$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
>> samples) to work?
>> I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from
>> the start:
>>
>> Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
>> Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.
>>
>> PLUS....
>> My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
>> it has blown up to about twice the original size;
>> sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment
>> "Cannot find adventureworks.mdf";
>> there are now 3 log files;
>> no more tables in the database are accessible;
>>
>> Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs
>> is impossible: "File not found" !!??
>>
>> The original conn.string from MS:
>> Data
>> Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWor ks_Data.mdf;Integrated
>> Security=True;User Instance=True
>>
>> After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
>> conn.string to:
>> Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
>> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrate d Security=True
>>
>> and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about the
>> coluimns remain
>>
>> I tried with some other (disposable ) mdf files and it seems that when
>> selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as source this
>> corruption ALWAYS happens
>> When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to
>> work ok
>>
>> Any ideas somebody?
>>
>> Config :
>> VS 2005 Pro
>> Sqlserver Express 2005
>> Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>>
>> Thanks in advance for suggestions
>>
>> Jerome

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Jerome,

The part is the AttachDBFile name, you can use SQLExpress as let say Jet.
Those files are in the samples, however Beta versions.

Cor

"Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:AenMf.281378$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> Thanks Cor, that explains a lot.
>
> Just still one thing that bothers me is the corruption of the db when
> using
> "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\.......User Instance=True"
> This does not happen with "Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=....."
> Is this also a remaining of the 'Beta' version?
>
> Regards
> Jerome
>

> "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jerome,
>>
>> From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70%
>> not working.
>>
>> It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install
>> that.
>>
>> I have reported that.
>>
>> The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.
>>
>> I hope this gives an idea.
>>
>> Cor
>>

>> "Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:y%lMf.281255$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>>> Hi,
>>> Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
>>> samples) to work?
>>> I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from
>>> the start:
>>>
>>> Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
>>> Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.
>>>
>>> PLUS....
>>> My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
>>> it has blown up to about twice the original size;
>>> sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment
>>> "Cannot find adventureworks.mdf";
>>> there are now 3 log files;
>>> no more tables in the database are accessible;
>>>
>>> Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs
>>> is impossible: "File not found" !!??
>>>
>>> The original conn.string from MS:
>>> Data
>>> Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWor ks_Data.mdf;Integrated
>>> Security=True;User Instance=True
>>>
>>> After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
>>> conn.string to:
>>> Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
>>> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrate d Security=True
>>>
>>> and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about
>>> the coluimns remain
>>>
>>> I tried with some other (disposable ) mdf files and it seems that
>>> when selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as
>>> source this corruption ALWAYS happens
>>> When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to
>>> work ok
>>>
>>> Any ideas somebody?
>>>
>>> Config :
>>> VS 2005 Pro
>>> Sqlserver Express 2005
>>> Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for suggestions
>>>
>>> Jerome

Jerome

Aha!
Good to know.
At least i will check the connection string the next time i see a sample
from MS

Thanks for the clarrification
Jerome

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jerome,
>
> The part is the AttachDBFile name, you can use SQLExpress as let say Jet.
> Those files are in the samples, however Beta versions.
>
> Cor
>
> "Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:AenMf.281378$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
>> Thanks Cor, that explains a lot.
>>
>> Just still one thing that bothers me is the corruption of the db when
>> using
>> "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\.......User Instance=True"
>> This does not happen with "Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial
>> Catalog=....."
>> Is this also a remaining of the 'Beta' version?
>>
>> Regards
>> Jerome
>>

>> "Cor Ligthert [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Jerome,
>>>
>>> From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70%
>>> not working.
>>>
>>> It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install
>>> that.
>>>
>>> I have reported that.
>>>
>>> The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.
>>>
>>> I hope this gives an idea.
>>>
>>> Cor
>>>

>>> "Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>>> news:y%lMf.281255$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...

Ken Halter

"Jerome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y%lMf.281255$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> Hi,
> Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
> samples) to work?

AH HA! So.... it's NOT just me! Thanks for sharing your pain Jerome! I was
starting to think I was going nuts.

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB (visiting from VB6 world) - http://www.vbsight.com
Please keep all discussions in the groups..

Jerome

Join the club Ken
I wonder if they ever tested it at MS. If some providers don't work, why not
leaving them out. One Sqlconnection is suffiecient, or not?
Long live VB6 !
I needed 3 days to find out that that stupid conn string ruined every time
my database.
Anyway, i'll be cautious when openening a sample from MS

Jerome

"Ken Halter" <Ken_Halter@Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...