Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are CELERON processors really all that bad?

Are CELERON processors really all that bad?

Leesa_Tay@softhome.net

I have an old PC, about 9 years old. I have a 500MHz PC with 16mb of
video memory and a 20 gig hard drive.

Now... I was thinking of getting a newer PC. I don't do anything too
elaborate on the PC. I surf the internet, play a game or two and
maybe download some tunes.

Would a PC that has a Celeron processor and "integrated" video and
audio be enough for me? Again... I have rather modest needs and am
just looking to upgrade. Would I see an improvment over what I now
have?

Thanks

Leesa (I)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>I have an old PC, about 9 years old. I have a 500MHz PC with 16mb of
>video memory and a 20 gig hard drive.
>
>Now... I was thinking of getting a newer PC. I don't do anything too
>elaborate on the PC. I surf the internet, play a game or two and
>maybe download some tunes.
>
>Would a PC that has a Celeron processor and "integrated" video and
>audio be enough for me? Again... I have rather modest needs and am
>just looking to upgrade. Would I see an improvment over what I now
>have?

Used to be a Celeron processor had a very small L2 cache or none at
all.

L2 Cache supplies the processor with the most frequently requested
data and instructions http://studynotes.net/Memory-Terms-Glossary or
last used instructions and data.

CPU performance is severely degraded without a decent L2 cache .

Read the specs on the CELERON processor your interested in and make
sure it has an adequate L2 cache (My L2 cache size is 1meg)

--

Amazon review of Bic Crystal ballpoint pen
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3QR3...m_cr_rdp_perm/

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/Del

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:12:42 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>I have an old PC, about 9 years old. I have a 500MHz PC with 16mb of
>video memory and a 20 gig hard drive.
>
>Now... I was thinking of getting a newer PC. I don't do anything too
>elaborate on the PC. I surf the internet, play a game or two and
>maybe download some tunes.
>
>Would a PC that has a Celeron processor and "integrated" video and
>audio be enough for me? Again... I have rather modest needs and am
>just looking to upgrade. Would I see an improvment over what I now
>have?
>
>Thanks

Of course a Celeron will be fine, Leesa. You are used to a 500MHz
processor. A modern Celeron, even though it isn't top of the line,
will feel like you have bought the finest super-computer on Earth.

Go ahead and go as cheap as you can, you don't do much on your
computer. There is no need to throw your money into something you will
never utilize in an intensive manner.

Go to any reputable computer retailer and get the very cheapest
computer that they now have in stock and it will be about a thousand
times more powerful than what you have now.

robis

> Amazon review of Bic Crystal ballpoint pen
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3QR3...m_cr_rdp_perm/

lol, that's hilarious