Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox and Zone Alarm activity

Firefox and Zone Alarm activity

screen@blank.org

Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are opened, and
I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my Zone Alarm icon.
Any clues as to what this could be?

Moz Champion (Dan)

> Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are opened, and
> I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my Zone Alarm icon.
> Any clues as to what this could be?

Which specific ports?

screen@blank.org

"Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:WWVLf.457356$(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are
>> opened, and I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my
>> Zone Alarm icon. Any clues as to what this could be?
>>

> Which specific ports?

Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process port or
the local address port?

I have noticed that it's exactly every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm seems to
have activity and it's only when I open Firefox.
I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might be
solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm still
showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened (no matter
what site I went to).

RodneyK

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:WWVLf.457356$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are
>>> opened, and I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my
>>> Zone Alarm icon. Any clues as to what this could be?
>>>

>> Which specific ports?
>>

> Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process port or
> the local address port?
>
> I have noticed that it's exactly every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm seems to
> have activity and it's only when I open Firefox.
> I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might be
> solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
> Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm still
> showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened (no matter
> what site I went to).

I also notice modem activity when I open FF. I suspect it is my
extensions that cause the activity. Especially Sage which updates it's
news feeds. Is this not correct?

RodneyK

Miller

*(E-Mail Removed)* wrote on 25.02.06 07:20:
> Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are opened, and
> I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my Zone Alarm icon.
> Any clues as to what this could be?

You might try out TDIMon form Sysinternals:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html
(Freeware, no nags etc..)
Very useful to me.

HTH, Miller

Moz Champion (Dan)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:WWVLf.457356$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I open Firefox, I notice that about 4 local ports are
>>> opened, and I see intermittent short bursts of dl/ul activity in my
>>> Zone Alarm icon. Any clues as to what this could be?
>>>

>> Which specific ports?
>>

> Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process port or
> the local address port?
>
> I have noticed that it's exactly every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm seems to
> have activity and it's only when I open Firefox.
> I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might be
> solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
> Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm still
> showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened (no matter
> what site I went to).

You said 4 ports were open, which ones were they?

Anytime a browser is open, there can be multiple reasons why it accesses
the internet - it can be the site meta refresh, it can also be Firefox's
update settings, it could be Firefox checking on mail (if you have such).
Without knowing which ports ZA was 'alarming' over, anything is
speculation and no proper 'fix' (or determination if it actaually was a
problem) made.

I have seen ZA 'alarm' over regular checks by ISPs (to see if the IP is
still in use), seen it 'alarm' over mail checks, over anything, it all
depends upon the settings in ZA

You could also have spyware on your computer, or a trojan, piggybacking
on the Firefox connection. Have you checked your computer for such?
Once again, without the specific ports that ZA is 'alarming' over, its
quite difficult to adjudge exactly if there is a problem, and if so,
exactly what it is.

Moz Champion (Dan)

RodneyK wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:WWVLf.457356$(E-Mail Removed):
>>> Which specific ports?
>>>

>> Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process
>> port or the local address port?
>> I have noticed that it's exactly every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm
>> seems to have activity and it's only when I open Firefox.
>> I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might
>> be solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
>> Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm
>> still showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened
>> (no matter what site I went to).

> I also notice modem activity when I open FF. I suspect it is my
> extensions that cause the activity. Especially Sage which updates it's
> news feeds. Is this not correct?
>
> RodneyK

Yes, thats correct. It could be almost anything from ISP checking to
RSS feeds, to mail (if such is enabled) - what is required is the actual
port numbers ZA is 'alarming' over.

RodneyK

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> RodneyK wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:WWVLf.457356$(E-Mail Removed):
>>>>

>>> Not sure since I uninstalled the program. Do you mean my process
>>> port or the local address port? I have noticed that it's exactly
>>> every 15 seconds that Zone Alarm seems to have activity and it's only
>>> when I open Firefox.
>>> I thought that with an uninstall and no plug-ins, the problem might
>>> be solved. However, the same thing happened. I even tried closing
>>> Microsoft's Anti-Spyware and all my Avast AV shields, but Zone Alarm
>>> still showed activity every 15 seconds ONLY when Firefox was opened
>>> (no matter what site I went to).

>> I also notice modem activity when I open FF. I suspect it is my
>> extensions that cause the activity. Especially Sage which updates it's
>> news feeds. Is this not correct?
>>
>> RodneyK

> Yes, thats correct. It could be almost anything from ISP checking to
> RSS feeds, to mail (if such is enabled) - what is required is the actual
> port numbers ZA is 'alarming' over.

Sorry I took so long in replying.
I had a problem finding out which port no.s were being used.
I've downloaded a programme called TCPView from Sysinternals. It
displays the local address, the remote address and the port number of a
connection. It can also tell the Process's properties, who the remote
address is registered to and can end the connection.
The remote addresses of a number of connections were suspicious. I'm in
contact with a spyware forum and so far we've found a malware dialler
that all my AntiSpyware programs missed.
So that modem activity when FF was opened betrayed spyware.

I recommend the programme TCPView to anyone who is suspicious about
their modem's activity.

TCPView.exe is free. - at
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

RodneyK