Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network (wireless )

there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network (wireless )

macro

Hi,

I am getting the error message displayed in the subject of this post when
connected through a wireless network.

what are the situations (and how does the machine actually "knows") that
there is such an IP conflict and can it be that the error is wrong and
actually there is no IP conflict and why would the error will be displayed
in this case?

thanks.

James Gockel

someone is on the network with a forced IP address that is the same as
yours.
you can either force your ip address to something else, or let windows
request a new one from the dhcp (by repairing the connection), or find out
who it is and force them to change their IP address.
Windows knows this because there is a "table" of which computers (system)
has what IP address and it checks it, and saw your IP is the same as someone
elses... (at least thats the easy explanation)
-James G.

"macro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the error message displayed in the subject of this post when
> connected through a wireless network.
>
> what are the situations (and how does the machine actually "knows") that
> there is such an IP conflict and can it be that the error is wrong and
> actually there is no IP conflict and why would the error will be displayed
> in this case?
>
> thanks.

macro

i'm not affraid of more complex explanation.
the table of IPs can be hold on a main location like the router, and in this
case there will exist a protocol with which windows asks the router the list
of IPs.
ARP is something like that - the Windows or any other TCP/IP communication
infrastructure will use to request the MAC address of a requested IP in
order to communicate with it.
i really wish to know what are the scenarios when Windows will show this
message and what Windows "knows" prior to displaying such a message and what
protocol being used by Windows in order to know this.
regards.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 25-Feb-2006, "macro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i really wish to know what are the scenarios when Windows will show this
> message

One sceneario is where the same static IP address is entered in
TCP/IP properties. I assume it would be possible to enter a
static IP address, then while a wireless link is disconnected
the same address could be leased/allocated. Then the wireless
connection is re-established and there is a conflict between the
static and the allocated address.
As to how, who knows what, systemwise, Etherreal (free download),
let you watch the handshaking. Look for "who has" and other
interesting packets.
Ethereal has a learning curve, there is a book on it. The
main learning curve is all the different sorts of packets,
and how to focus on the ones concerned with various functions.

=?Utf-8?B?bWFya2lrYXBsYW4=?=

Hi "Macro"

Sounds like we are having similar problems. I have two Dell laptops running
Windows XP on my home wireless network (Linksys) and often, when both
computers are on, I get a "Windows System Error -- There is an IP address
conflict with another system on the network." If this is the problem you
had, were you able to solve it? And how?

Thanks,
Mark

"macro" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting the error message displayed in the subject of this post when
> connected through a wireless network.
>
> what are the situations (and how does the machine actually "knows") that
> there is such an IP conflict and can it be that the error is wrong and
> actually there is no IP conflict and why would the error will be displayed
> in this case?
>
> thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?ZHViYm95?=

"there is an IP address error with another system on your network"
that is the error dialog box that pops up from my task bar and sounds like
what is being discussed here. my thought is - is it possible for a neighbor
say, to hop onto my wireless network and get a freeride. the error dialog may
be the indicator that that is happening? not to sound paranoid. i never see
error this when my other computer (connecting wirelessly, in then house) is
running while my main (hardwired) computer is on. i have an always on cable
connection and use linkyss wireless b router ...
my connection is not interrupted but it raises a security issue and may
contribute to a sluggish connection perhaps.
i use macafee virus, windows defender and firewall ...
maybe its nothing to worry about ... thanks for any/all help
dubboy

"markikaplan" wrote:

> Hi "Macro"
>
> Sounds like we are having similar problems. I have two Dell laptops running
> Windows XP on my home wireless network (Linksys) and often, when both
> computers are on, I get a "Windows System Error -- There is an IP address
> conflict with another system on the network." If this is the problem you
> had, were you able to solve it? And how?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "macro" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am getting the error message displayed in the subject of this post when
> > connected through a wireless network.
> >
> > what are the situations (and how does the machine actually "knows") that
> > there is such an IP conflict and can it be that the error is wrong and
> > actually there is no IP conflict and why would the error will be displayed
> > in this case?
> >
> > thanks.

Malke

dubboy wrote:

> "there is an IP address error with another system on your network"
> that is the error dialog box that pops up from my task bar and sounds
> like what is being discussed here. my thought is - is it possible for
> a neighbor say, to hop onto my wireless network and get a freeride.
> the error dialog may be the indicator that that is happening? not to
> sound paranoid. i never see error this when my other computer
> (connecting wirelessly, in then house) is running while my main
> (hardwired) computer is on. i have an always on cable connection and
> use linkyss wireless b router ... my connection is not interrupted but
> it raises a security issue and may contribute to a sluggish connection
> perhaps. i use macafee virus, windows defender and firewall ...
> maybe its nothing to worry about ... thanks for any/all help
> dubboy

Certainly someone can use your wireless connection if you haven't
secured it properly. See these links for how to do that:

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

woodzy88 woodzy88 is offline
Junior Member

Hey guys,

I've recently encountered this error to, I'm using the WGU624 router (netgear) and reset it to try and fix some wireless connection drop outs I was having, however, for no apparent reason when it reset one of my PC's came up with the whole conflicting IP error response, the only way I could find to fix this was to give that PC a static IP that wasn't being used, so yes, just slightly strange but that's my fix for it and it's working perfectly now.

Jim C. Jim C. is offline
Junior Member
Location: East Central Indiana

As someone else has stated, the easiest fix for this seems to be entering another address. When my integrated network card went south, I replaced it with a PCI card and the problem showed up.

I DID have some ghost cards lurking about (Thanks, Windows!) that weren't even physically in the computer.

You can coax your machine to show you these devices by using DEVCOM, downloadable from Microsoft. I believe that's where I got it.

The address in question on my machine/network is not present in any registry or file search...!? But, I still got the same conflict error until I gave up and picked an unused one.

Try the Devcom or similar program. I also used DEVMGR which I'll send to anyone who needs it.

Jim C.

Don35 Don35 is offline
Junior Member

You should make sure all the Laptops and PC's are set to "use DHCP" or automatically acquire an IP address. Sometimes when you put the CD in for the router it adds a static IP of 192.168.1.1 and it stays there. ALL you need is automatic configure and let the dhcp in the router dish out IP addresses. IT doesnt give out duplicates. Thats where you need to start looking