Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Removing Blemishes?

Removing Blemishes?

(PeteCresswell)

Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).

Played A-OK, but couldn't be copied - "CRC Check".

Didn't look all that wonderful under there, so I spritzed it with
eyeglass cleaner and scrubbed it with a reasonably-high-end paper
towel a few times.

Still doesn't look 100%, but seems to have gotten around the CRC
check.

But this begs a question:
Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?

Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
compound?
--
PeteCresswell

kaboom

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:55:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).

**You're welcome! I remember that movie, but I haven't seen it for a
couple of decades. I liked it.

>But this begs a question:
>Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
>scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
>glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
>
>Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
>compound?

**I recall the suggestion of toothpaste, believe it or not.

kaboomie

Phisherman

wrote:

>Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).
>
>Played A-OK, but couldn't be copied - "CRC Check".
>
>Didn't look all that wonderful under there, so I spritzed it with
>eyeglass cleaner and scrubbed it with a reasonably-high-end paper
>towel a few times.
>
>Still doesn't look 100%, but seems to have gotten around the CRC
>check.
>

>But this begs a question:
>Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
>scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
>glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
>
>Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
>compound?

Good results using Brasso. Most of the time buffing with a cotton
towel works well unless the disc was used like a frisbee.

Wally

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:57:45 GMT, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:55:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).
>>
>>Played A-OK, but couldn't be copied - "CRC Check".
>>
>>Didn't look all that wonderful under there, so I spritzed it with
>>eyeglass cleaner and scrubbed it with a reasonably-high-end paper
>>towel a few times.
>>
>>Still doesn't look 100%, but seems to have gotten around the CRC
>>check.
>>

>>But this begs a question:
>>Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
>>scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
>>glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
>>
>>Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
>>compound?

>Good results using Brasso. Most of the time buffing with a cotton
>towel works well unless the disc was used like a frisbee.

I always use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth and that seems to clean
smudges, etc.