Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Accidentally Deleted a Folder in Outlook Express

Accidentally Deleted a Folder in Outlook Express

amanda.wolkenhauer@gmail.com

Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
folder! YIKES.

Amanda

Mike Easter

> Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
> only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
> folder! YIKES.

When you first deleted the folder full of items, the individual deleted
items were in the deleted folder and could have been recovered from
there 'visually' but they wouldn't have been organized in the 'folder'
that you deleted.

Then, your OE is most likely configured to 'really' delete the items in
the deleted folder whenever you close OE, so your ability to recover
visually depends on whether or not you have shutdown OE and how your
maintenance section is configured to handle deleted items on shutdown.

Lastly, there is the business about compaction. The compacting business
can be configured to be off or automated. Deleted items are not really
deleted from a folderfile (what looks like a folder to you is a file in
the database) until compaction.

So, if you haven't shut down OE, the deleted items which used to be in a
different unnamed folderfile are in the Deleted folder. If you've
shutdown and they aren't there, I would go to the store folder for OE
and see if there is a file named 'Unnamed.dbx' where the 'unnamed'
portion of the filename is the name of the folder you haven't mentioned.
You may be able to recover the items from the unnamed.dbx file with
tools.

Tom Koch's site has information about OE's files, folders, and
compacting. http://www.insideoe.com/ Help, tips, FAQs and technical
information to help you use, understand, and repair Microsoft Outlook
Express for Windows

--
Mike Easter

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
> only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
> folder! YIKES.

Explain in more detail please.

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
> only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
> folder! YIKES.

You are out of luck.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Sunny

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:47636f1b$2$309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
>> only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
>> folder! YIKES.

> You are out of luck.

Bullshit.
In Windows Explorer, find the DBX folder and :
http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/docs.htm
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

Depending on the folder, it can be re-created in OE then replaced from
within Win Explorer.

Jeneric

On Dec 14, 11:36 pm, "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>
> news:47636f1b$2$309$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> Can anyone help me recover a deleted folder in Outlook Express? I
> >> only intended to delete the one email, instead I deleted the whole
> >> folder! YIKES.

> > You are out of luck.

> Bullshit.
> In Windows Explorer, find the DBX folder and :http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/doc...am.com/backup/
>
> Depending on the folder, it can be re-created in OE then replaced from
> within Win Explorer.

There are deletion recoverey programs on sale at Frys now that promise
the world. Guess you could call the company or take a chance on it for
$29 or so.

-JB-

ellis_jay

:http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/doc...terdam.com/bac

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/dr.html

http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/i...ver-lost-data/

--
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
government. ___Edward Abbey