Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xnews ?

xnews ?

DrDan

If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
should trim it down a bit.
Thanks.

Rgr

DrDan wrote:
> If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
> rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
> the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
> That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
> should trim it down a bit.

You can delete the data safely. The downside is XNews will have to
reload the headers next time you go to a group, and it won't remember
which posts you've already read.

why?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:11:43 -0600, DrDan wrote:

Is your subject line a question?

Oh right it's something to do with xnews, are you sure?

You can delete the file, but wait while it sorts the headers out next
time, as you select messages to read the group files in \data are
updated. Unless you have selected to same messages / attachments in that
folder when you swap groups / close xnews that folder is cleared out
automatically.

>If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
>rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
>the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
>That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
>should trim it down a bit.
>Thanks.

You can also get other xnews help from
news.software.readers , put [XNews] at the start of your subject line,
you will see why by looking at, as it covers slrn, tbird, dialog etc.
http://groups.google.com/group/news....readers/topics

Me

richard

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:11:43 -0600, DrDan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
>rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
>the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
>That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
>should trim it down a bit.
>Thanks.

Are you visiting a lot of binary groups and keeping the message
bodies?
That would be one reason for the huge size.
I always set my readers to not save the messages. If I want to keep
the file, save it elsewhere.

It may be tedious, but you could also delete the groups, then restore
them later when you restart xnews. That helps to reset the size of the
folders and restore the groups as if new.

pcbuilder_98

DrDan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
> rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
> the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
> That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
> should trim it down a bit.
> Thanks.

I would not delete the folder. You may instead delete any file in that
folder with the HDR extension. The file will be regenerated when you next
open the NG.

--
pcbuilder98.

chuckcar

DrDan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it just
> rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should I delete
> the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
> That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems like I
> should trim it down a bit.
> Thanks.

What you *can* do to be completely safe so nothing doesn't jive is first
open up explorer to the data directory, sort the directory by size in
decending order. Then use xnews to open that server/group indicated by
the name, then group->discard headers->all and then use the
folder/checkmark (catchup) to close the group. Repeat as necessary.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

DrDan

DrDan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> If I delete the folder data, as in c/xnews/data, will it
> just rebuild what is needed on the next restart? Or should
> I delete the contents? Or should I leave it alone?
> That folder has grown to almost 5 gigs in size and seems
> like I should trim it down a bit.
> Thanks.

After reading the reply's I decided to delete the contents of
the data folder. Sure everything has to be reloaded but my
xnews folder shrunk from 5 gigs down to 38megs. Also, tghere
was one large music group I haven't been able to load in a long
time, xnews would become unresponsive, now loads fine. Thanks
again for the help.

OT: XNews. One day at a time. kpg MCSE 30 07-18-2005 05:53 PM
OT XNews post test Consultant MCSE 28 07-19-2004 08:19 PM
Re: [Xnews] Open Source Xnews? Darrien C Programming 11 11-04-2003 02:20 AM
Xnews uninstalling berksposter Computer Support 7 09-27-2003 04:02 PM
Xnews Rosco Computer Support 3 09-04-2003 11:17 AM

Advertisments