Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win Vista, AOL 9.0 VR, and Trend Micro Antivirus

Win Vista, AOL 9.0 VR, and Trend Micro Antivirus

Paul

My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.

We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
with the connection either.

Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to reach
numerous Web sites okay.

On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
internet connection".

We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.

Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.

Thanks
Paul

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Paul wrote:

> My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY. They
> loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded AOL 9.0 VR
> for this Vista Windows system.

AOL? My condolences. Vista? My condolences.

> We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL. We tried a separate
> Bellsouth connection and could not Update with the connection either.
>
> Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to
> reach numerous Web sites okay.
>
> On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
> internet connection".
>
> We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
> Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.
>
> Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any
> suggestions.

Most likely an AOL problem. Last time I sat in front of someone's
computer who used AOL for connection, it was limited to accessing
through IE (branded as an AOL browser, of course) and AOL's servers.

Try using a real browser (Firefox/Opera) along with the Bellsouth
connection.

Your own Netscape 7.2 is seriously out of date. Try SeaMonkey if you
like browser/mail suites.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Mr. Arnold

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
> They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
> AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.
>
> We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
> We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
> with the connection either.
>
> Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to reach
> numerous Web sites okay.
>
> On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
> internet connection".
>
> We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
> Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.
>
> Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.

The problem could be that you are not running with Run As Administrator on
Vista even though you are Admin on the computer. Admin users on Vista have
been locked down with Standard user rights in a lot of cases, and you must
escalate privileges with Run as Administrator.

One thing you can try is disable Run as Admin then do what you need to do
and then enable Run as Admin to see if that helps, use Google look it up.

The other thing you can do is post to the MS Communities to one of the
MS.Public.Windows.Vista NG(s), which should be on Windows Mail. You you can
post to the Vista NG(s)/forums at msnews.microsoft.com over the Internet
with a browser, us Google to find out how to find the links.

ded

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My sister has a new Compaq Presario SR5210 NX from Best BUY.
> They loaded Trend Micro AntiVirus on the computer and we loaded
> AOL 9.0 VR for this Vista Windows system.
>
> We are unable to Update Trend Micro through AOL.
> We tried a separate Bellsouth connection and could not Update
> with the connection either.
>
> Both the AOL and Bell South connection work okay. We are able to reach
> numerous Web sites okay.
>
> On both connections we get a " unable to Update. Please check your
> internet connection".
>
> We are using a 56 Kbit dial-up connection. And have turned off the
> Firewall and SpyWare detector with no help.
>
> Is this a Vista problem, a Trend Micro problem or what? Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Did you check the support link on Trend Micro's home
site?http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/consumer/ts.do
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...onsumerhome.do

ded

">
> Did you check the support link on Trend Micro's home site?
> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/consumer/ts.do
> http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...onsumerhome.do

With just 20 - 30 seconds browsing the above links I found this:
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...&id=EN-1035972

It is the minimum specs required and under browsers it lists
"AOL 9.0 Security Edition" - I don't know what a security edition is
but I suggest you click on the AOL sites help/support link and find it.