Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera Raw in Elements and CS3

Camera Raw in Elements and CS3

Brian

Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
with limited functionality?

Brian

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
> with limited functionality?

it's exactly the same, and was just updated a week ago to 4.3.1.

Brian

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:47:18 -0800, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
mentioned:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
>> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
>> with limited functionality?

>it's exactly the same, and was just updated a week ago to 4.3.1.

Thanks. I'm thinking that a copy of Elements 5 or 6 from eBay would
be a cheap way to improve on the ACR in CS2.

Brian

The Spider Formally Seated Next To Little Miss Muffet

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
> with limited functionality?
>

> Brian

Nospam is wrong. The version that comes with Elements is the same ACR
plug-in file. However, Elements limits the tools available inside of it. So
while the file is the same it is a lite version because you don't get access
to all of the tools in ACR like you would using it with Photoshop CS3.

The Spider

--
If stupid was fruit, Washington D.C. would be an orchard!

Benny

Thanks for the RAW update post - my CS3 says that "CR updates cannot be
determined at this stage".
I'll download the latest update from the site.
regards
Benny

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:101220070347188367%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
>> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
>> with limited functionality?

> it's exactly the same, and was just updated a week ago to 4.3.1.

Brian

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:11:03 -0800, "The Spider Formally Seated Next
To Little Miss Muffet" <(E-Mail Removed)> mentioned:

>"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
>> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
>> with limited functionality?
>>

>> Brian

>Nospam is wrong. The version that comes with Elements is the same ACR
>plug-in file. However, Elements limits the tools available inside of it. So
>while the file is the same it is a lite version because you don't get access
>to all of the tools in ACR like you would using it with Photoshop CS3.
>
>The Spider

I came across a site with a video on PSE 6 last night. The front end
RAW processing does seem to be exactly the same as CS3 - which is what
I was after. I wasn't expecting to be able to move files back and to
betweenf Elements and ACR as you can with CS3.

Brian

Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:29:51 +0000, Brian
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
>all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
>with limited functionality?

Looks like I need to upgrade my old CS to CS3 as they don't appear to
support it any more.

Roger

>Brian

Paul Furman

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:29:51 +0000, Brian
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does the version of Camera Raw in the latest versions of Elements have
>> all the same functions as the CS3 version, or is it a 'lite' version
>> with limited functionality?

> Looks like I need to upgrade my old CS to CS3 as they don't appear to
> support it any more.

You can use a newer version* of the DNG converter which downloads with
ACR and convert to DNG. Then open that in CS1. The files can be made
smaller by eliminating the embedded jpeg but you won't be open them with
your camera maker's software and of course the new ACR features won't be
there.

*some research needed to see which version works