Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can I convert a router to an access point?

Can I convert a router to an access point?

RKay

Is there a way to convert a wireless router to a wireless access
point?

Our network already has a wireless router connected to a dsl modem on
the fourth floor. On the first floor, I have a hub connected to this
router over an ethernet cable snaked between these floors. I want to
connect a 2nd wireless router to this hub to provide wireless access
to those who need this.

Is this doable?

TIA

Rob

Jack

Hi
It is doable under such a configuration.
Wireless Router as an Access Point: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
This might help too:
Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"RKay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there a way to convert a wireless router to a wireless access
> point?
>
> Our network already has a wireless router connected to a dsl modem on
> the fourth floor. On the first floor, I have a hub connected to this
> router over an ethernet cable snaked between these floors. I want to
> connect a 2nd wireless router to this hub to provide wireless access
> to those who need this.
>
> Is this doable?
>
> TIA
>
> Rob

Steve

Yes it can be done without too much grief. The access
point will be a bridge to your existing network. A good
starting point is the following Micrsosoft article.
us;817463

Regards,
Steve

Robert Jacobs

It is only doable if your router has the use as access point option. What is
the make and model of your router?

"RKay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there a way to convert a wireless router to a wireless access
> point?
>
> Our network already has a wireless router connected to a dsl modem on
> the fourth floor. On the first floor, I have a hub connected to this
> router over an ethernet cable snaked between these floors. I want to
> connect a 2nd wireless router to this hub to provide wireless access
> to those who need this.
>
> Is this doable?
>
> TIA
>
> Rob

kjk kjk is offline
Junior Member

I have a Mecer 4 port cable DSL router from my new ISP and an older ADSL wifi Billion 7401VGP router from my old ISP MWEB, I want a wifi connection but have heard its not possible to crack the MWEB locked wifi router. I have heard that it is possible to use the wifi router as a hub but connecting the cable DSL router with a network cable to the wifi router and use the wifi router as the connection...but I need a step-by-step guide on the process, any help?