Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router cannot find Ip Address

Router cannot find Ip Address

=?Utf-8?B?TW90dGVycw==?=

Hello
I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and now
cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero and cannot
be latered. I think this must have been the result of a malicious virus or
attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to get it up and running
again. I have replaced the router but still no joy.
Thanks in advance
Motters

Jack \(MVP-Networking\)

Hi

As far as my extensive experience goes using Windows Wireless Zero
configuration works very well with Hardware that is fully compatible with
Windows.

However, Wireless involves most of the time Hardware and Drivers that are
Not under Microsoft Control. If you follow carefully this Newsgroup you
would notice that many questions are actually involve Wireless Routers,
Access Points, Wireless Laptop, and other Wireless Devices (like the Camera
that you mentioned) that are manufactured by others. Microsoft cannot
"Force" these manufactures to provide full compatibility with its OS', or
and to write Manual in clear organized way.

If you would post a more technologically oriented question, like the make
and Model of Camera, and what the Camera is connected too, and from where it
is trying to obtain the IP address, might be that some one would able to
help.

As an Example, if your Camera comes configured with default IP that is Not
of the same Subnet of your computer's Network it cannot acquire an address.
Such a problem is Not Windows problem but rather knowing how to set a
Network Hardware device.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Motters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
> successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and now
> cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero and cannot
> be latered. I think this must have been the result of a malicious virus or
> attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to get it up and running
> again. I have replaced the router but still no joy.
> Thanks in advance
> Motters

Joan Archer

Jack where does he mention a camera in his post, I thought it was a Belkin
router that he was having problems with.
Joan

Jack (MVP-Networking) wrote:
> Hi
>
> As far as my extensive experience goes using Windows Wireless Zero
> configuration works very well with Hardware that is fully compatible
> with Windows.
>
> However, Wireless involves most of the time Hardware and Drivers that
> are Not under Microsoft Control. If you follow carefully this
> Newsgroup you would notice that many questions are actually involve
> Wireless Routers, Access Points, Wireless Laptop, and other Wireless
> Devices (like the Camera that you mentioned) that are manufactured by
> others. Microsoft cannot "Force" these manufactures to provide full
> compatibility with its OS', or and to write Manual in clear organized
> way.
> If you would post a more technologically oriented question, like the
> make and Model of Camera, and what the Camera is connected too, and
> from where it is trying to obtain the IP address, might be that some
> one would able to help.
>
> As an Example, if your Camera comes configured with default IP that
> is Not of the same Subnet of your computer's Network it cannot
> acquire an address. Such a problem is Not Windows problem but rather
> knowing how to set a Network Hardware device.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Joan Archer

Have you tried setting it back to factory defaults and reconfiguring
again.
Joan

Motters wrote:
> Hello
> I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
> successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and
> now cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero
> and cannot be latered. I think this must have been the result of a
> malicious virus or attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to
> get it up and running again. I have replaced the router but still no
> joy.
> Thanks in advance
> Motters

James Gockel

I think it was an accidental reply to the wrong post.
-James G.

"Joan Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Jack where does he mention a camera in his post, I thought it was a Belkin
> router that he was having problems with.
> Joan
>

> Jack (MVP-Networking) wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As far as my extensive experience goes using Windows Wireless Zero
>> configuration works very well with Hardware that is fully compatible
>> with Windows.
>>
>> However, Wireless involves most of the time Hardware and Drivers that
>> are Not under Microsoft Control. If you follow carefully this
>> Newsgroup you would notice that many questions are actually involve
>> Wireless Routers, Access Points, Wireless Laptop, and other Wireless
>> Devices (like the Camera that you mentioned) that are manufactured by
>> others. Microsoft cannot "Force" these manufactures to provide full
>> compatibility with its OS', or and to write Manual in clear organized
>> way.
>> If you would post a more technologically oriented question, like the
>> make and Model of Camera, and what the Camera is connected too, and
>> from where it is trying to obtain the IP address, might be that some
>> one would able to help.
>>
>> As an Example, if your Camera comes configured with default IP that
>> is Not of the same Subnet of your computer's Network it cannot
>> acquire an address. Such a problem is Not Windows problem but rather
>> knowing how to set a Network Hardware device.
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

James Gockel

I think that would be the same as replacing the router with a new one. Which
I think he needs to know what settings to set. He should call his ISP and
get the information from them.
-James G.

"Joan Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried setting it back to factory defaults and reconfiguring
> again.
> Joan
>

> Motters wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
>> successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and
>> now cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero
>> and cannot be latered. I think this must have been the result of a
>> malicious virus or attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to
>> get it up and running again. I have replaced the router but still no
>> joy.
>> Thanks in advance
>> Motters

=?Utf-8?B?TW90dGVycw==?=

Hi Jack
Thanks for your post. although I am a bit confused as I am having trouble
with a router not a camera.

Having just looked at the WZC service I notice that in the dependencies it
gives a WMI Critical Error. I also notice that the DHCP client service is
not started and will not start. I think this may have something to do with
my router not working but I dont know where to go from here. Any ideas.
Cheers
Motters

"Jack (MVP-Networking)" wrote:

> Hi
>
> As far as my extensive experience goes using Windows Wireless Zero
> configuration works very well with Hardware that is fully compatible with
> Windows.
>
> However, Wireless involves most of the time Hardware and Drivers that are
> Not under Microsoft Control. If you follow carefully this Newsgroup you
> would notice that many questions are actually involve Wireless Routers,
> Access Points, Wireless Laptop, and other Wireless Devices (like the Camera
> that you mentioned) that are manufactured by others. Microsoft cannot
> "Force" these manufactures to provide full compatibility with its OS', or
> and to write Manual in clear organized way.
>
> If you would post a more technologically oriented question, like the make
> and Model of Camera, and what the Camera is connected too, and from where it
> is trying to obtain the IP address, might be that some one would able to
> help.
>
> As an Example, if your Camera comes configured with default IP that is Not
> of the same Subnet of your computer's Network it cannot acquire an address.
> Such a problem is Not Windows problem but rather knowing how to set a
> Network Hardware device.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Motters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> > I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
> > successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and now
> > cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero and cannot
> > be latered. I think this must have been the result of a malicious virus or
> > attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to get it up and running
> > again. I have replaced the router but still no joy.
> > Thanks in advance
> > Motters

=?Utf-8?B?TW90dGVycw==?=

Hi
Thank you for your replies. I have been in touch with the ISP and Belkin,
and have got all the information I think I need. Unfortunately I dont know
how to configure the router.

Although the system sees the router and indicates it is wirking the IP
address is all zeros. Trying to change this manually had no effect.

I think the root cause of all this was a virus that has affected the system
files somewhere but I dont know where to begin. Looking at the WZCSVC and
some other services, when I look at dependencies it says "WMI Critical
Error". Further, whatever has caused this has also got rid of all system
restore points. Any ideas would be most welcome.
Thanks again.
Motters

"James Gockel" wrote:

> I think that would be the same as replacing the router with a new one. Which
> I think he needs to know what settings to set. He should call his ISP and
> get the information from them.
> -James G.
>

> "Joan Archer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Have you tried setting it back to factory defaults and reconfiguring
> > again.
> > Joan
> >

> > Motters wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
> >> successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and
> >> now cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero
> >> and cannot be latered. I think this must have been the result of a
> >> malicious virus or attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to
> >> get it up and running again. I have replaced the router but still no
> >> joy.
> >> Thanks in advance
> >> Motters

Jack

Hi

I am sorry my previous answer was meant for the post above this one.

In any case, I am not sure what is wrong with your system, your description
does not let me to determine whether the trouble is with the Wireless
Router, the Wireless computer, or both.

Viruses and the like usually do not attack Routers they attack Computers.

If you have a computer connected to the Router with a Wire you might be able
to determine whether it is the Router or the Wireless computer (
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wiredrouter ).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Motters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have been running a Belkin wireless router on my XP Pro system
> successfully for some time. However, last week it stopped working and now
> cannot connect to the web. The IP addresses are all set to zero and cannot
> be latered. I think this must have been the result of a malicious virus or
> attack. Can anybody suggest a course of actio to get it up and running
> again. I have replaced the router but still no joy.
> Thanks in advance
> Motters

=?Utf-8?B?TW90dGVycw==?=

Hi Jack
My computer ethernet card connects directly to the router with a cable and
then to the phone socket.

I have just run ipconfig /renew and the message was that the specified file
could not be found.
Cheers
Motters