Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need Help With Vertical CSS Nav Bar - It Works But It's Not Liked By W3C Validation

Need Help With Vertical CSS Nav Bar - It Works But It's Not Liked By W3C Validation

Fred

I've done my best to create a vertical navigation that uses hover with
changing background images. The navigation displays sub choices by
increasing the left margin, reducing the text and changing the hover
effect.

I've accomplished this by nesting DIVs and it seems W3C does not like
it. W3C also does not like how I've had to repeat the ID on the <LI>

How would you accomplish this type of navigation while using CSS and
still having it W3C compatible?

Here's the HTML.
http://www.kinfolkkids.org/nav.html

Thanks for your help

Jonathan N. Little

Fred wrote:
> I've done my best to create a vertical navigation that uses hover with
> changing background images. The navigation displays sub choices by
> increasing the left margin, reducing the text and changing the hover
> effect.
>
> I've accomplished this by nesting DIVs and it seems W3C does not like
> it. W3C also does not like how I've had to repeat the ID on the <LI>

One on ID per page. Use CLASS not ID.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've done my best to create a vertical navigation that uses hover with
> changing background images. The navigation displays sub choices by
> increasing the left margin, reducing the text and changing the hover
> effect.
>
> I've accomplished this by nesting DIVs and it seems W3C does not like
> it. W3C also does not like how I've had to repeat the ID on the <LI>

ids are one per page, they are meant for unique references. Use
class instead for where you want a style to apply to more than
one thing...

> How would you accomplish this type of navigation while using CSS and
> still having it W3C compatible?
>
> Here's the HTML.
> http://www.kinfolkkids.org/nav.html

Time to run through the basics first. A list has list items only
as direct children. You can have a div inside a list item if you
really want. I did on a rather odd and rare occasion have a bit
that went:

<ol>
</ol>

perhaps you might like go through some of the tutes via:

http://www.htmldog.com/guides/

--
dorayme

NAV, NAV 5x.... Norton Anit-Virus?? MrDave Microsoft Certification 0 08-09-2009 07:48 PM
Static Nav bar withh CSS bill HTML 9 08-05-2005 05:31 PM
How to write a simple vertical nav bar? aler45dcom@hotmail.com Javascript 3 04-20-2005 07:08 PM
W3C Validator Icon and W3C Valdiator page Frank HTML 9 05-03-2004 09:32 AM
SSI nav bar but page name cell a different colour? Lois Javascript 2 08-08-2003 12:44 AM

Advertisments