Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > removing address,tool menu bars

removing address,tool menu bars

mantrid

I use
<form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
from the
form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
be opened. or is it only possible with java script?

Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?

Thanks Ian

Jonathan N. Little

mantrid wrote:
> I use
> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
> from the
> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?

Only with JavaScript *if* the client allows.

> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?

Yes, don't.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mantrid

I forgot to mention $_POST[variables] need to be carried forward to the new
page for filtering the data displayed there.

"mantrid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J0T6j.8507$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use
> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit

button
> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I

therefore
> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do

this
> from the
> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is

> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
>
> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
>
> Thanks Ian

richard

mantrid wrote:
> I use
> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
> from the
> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
>
> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
>
> Thanks Ian

http://www.web-source.net/javascript_popup_window2.htm

If the popup is necessary then you should advise your visitors to be
sure to turn on JS. If it's for advertising, then f--k you.

David E. Ross

On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
> I use
> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
> from the
> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
>
> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
>
> Thanks Ian

Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
way I want it?

You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
that restores the other bars.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
people who die of natural causes.

mantrid

"David E. Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
> > I use
> > <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit

button
> > to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I

therefore
> > do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do

this
> > from the
> > form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is

> > be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
> >
> > Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
> >
> > Thanks Ian
> >

> Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
> works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
> way I want it?
>
> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
> that restores the other bars.
>
> --
> David E. Ross
> <http://www.rossde.com/>
>
> Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
> people who die of natural causes.

Why is everyone getting uptight about this?
Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
address bars
goto
http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announc...ouncermain.php
and then click the example to see the display

ian

John Hosking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:40:34 GMT, mantrid wrote:
F'ups set to c.i.w.a.h

> "David E. Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
>> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
>> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
>> that restores the other bars.
>>
>> --
>> David E. Ross
>> <http://www.rossde.com/>
>>
>> Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
>> people who die of natural causes.

No need to quote sigs, much less the full body of a post.

> Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

Why do you suppose?

> Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
> you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
> address bars
> goto
> http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announc...ouncermain.php
> and then click the example to see the display

Actually clicking the example (image) doesn't do anything. I have to click
the "Click here" (where have I seen that before? ) to get the popup.

At least you left me the X in the upper right so I can close the window.

Pity you took away the scrollbars, though. How am I supposed to see the
content past the right and lower edges?

The "uptightness" is because snatching control from visitors is a rude
thing to do. Discussed in c.i.w.a.h and even alt.html often. As
publishers/developers we should have no reason to expect that visitors
enjoy having their font-size or other usability preferences ignored or
overruled. When a user thinks toolbars are "clutter", she can hide them.

Also (and in the same vein): Markup and CSS are invalid in both main window
and popup. You set text color and some BG colors, but not all BG colors.
Text is too small. The box with "If you are having any difficulties with
this service..." is hard to read because of the low contrast colors,
worsened by the text size. Text is specified in px. Etc. All the usual
things that get discussed here (c.i.w.a.h, a.html) regularly.

But given that your "service" is to put distracting scrolling text and
marquees on your (clients') users' screens, I can see why you might not
care about whether they can control their windows. The service is obnoxious
(whether you have customers for it or not), so its implementation might
well be, too.

In any case, you got your technical answer in the first reply.

--
John

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

mantrid wrote:
> "David E. Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
>>> I use
>>> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit

> button
>>> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I

> therefore
>>> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do

> this
>>> from the
>>> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is

>>> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
>>> [...]

>> Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
>> works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
>> way I want it?
>>
>> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
>> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
>> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
>> that restores the other bars.
>> [...]

> Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

Besides people being generally stupid, obnoxious or daft (remember the song?
), several reasons come to mind:

1. You have posted with a Subject that tells of removing something people
like.

2. You have crossposted to three newsgroups, and across two top-level
hierarchies, without Followup-To, needlessly.

3. Your question indicates that you have not done any, or at least not
sufficient, research by yourself as what you are asking for is a FAQ
(frequently asked question) that can be easily found with your favorite
search engine.

4. You wish to create a separate (popup) window which is generally frowned
upon as it consumes more processing time and memory than usual Web
navigation, and is counter-intuitive to it.

Popups were also frequently used for ads before there were popup blockers
that are now circumvented by ads in block-level elements. It is curious
that although advertisement on the Web allow services there to remain for
free or at least less expensive than without advertisement, they are
generally frowned upon, myself included.

5. You are using a well-known broken newsreader application and you don't
know (yet) how to work around that properly (see above):

http://insideoe.com/

However, I recommend you use Mozilla Thunderbird or KNode instead.

You also don't know (yet) how to quote properly:

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_not...s.html#ps1Post

Therefore your postings are not as easily legible and consume more time
and bandwidth of their readers than they need to. More information can
be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

> Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
> you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
> address bars
> goto
> http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announc...ouncermain.php
> and then click the example to see the display

6. You have not posted this in the first place.

The oft-posted solution is to assign an event listener for the `submit'
event of the form, in which you attempt to create a window as you would
like it to be and then submit to that window:

<form action="..." target="formPopup" ...
onsubmit="return handleSubmit(this);">
<script type="text/javascript">
function handleSubmit(f)
{
/*
* Minimum allowed dimensions for the window,
* and minimum features for accessibility; YMMV.
*/
if (window.open("", f.target,
"width=100,height=100,scrollbars,resizeable")) ;
{
f.submit();
return false;
}

return true;
}
</script>

<!-- the form content goes here -->
</form>

Note that there may be a race condition. To work around that is left as an
exercise to the reader.

That aside, if you still think that scrolling texts are a pretty neat idea,
you really should do a quick search on the Web about news tickers and how
and why they are actually hated by visitors.

F'up2 comp.lang.javascript

PointedEars

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:40:34
GMT mantrid scribed:

>> Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
>> works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly
>> the way I want it?
>>
>> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
>> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
>> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a
>> button that restores the other bars.

> Why is everyone getting uptight about this?
> Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users
> and then you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter
> like tool and address bars
> goto
> http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announc...ouncermain.php
> and then click the example to see the display

Congratulations! You've broken the record with margin to spare! Five
doctypes, head sections, etc., in the same document! Awesome!!!

--
Bone Ur
Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

The Magpie

mantrid wrote:

> Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

Basically, because you shouldn't do it.