Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Saving something from the cache

Saving something from the cache

tedwilson@usa.com

A while back someone posted a method to save something from the cache.
I copied the message to a text file and tried it. It does work, but
the process is way too complicated, and takes a half hour just to save
one thing. Occasionally I like to save flash videos. If I use IE, I
can go to the cache and just look for a file named (something).SWF or
(something).FLV. Firefox has a terrible habit of giving useless names
to all files, and none contain the extension. That pretty much
renders the cache useless to save from.

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask if there is any sort of addon that allows
saving from the cache without all the hassles? Right now, I find it
easier to copy the URL to IE and save it from the IE cache. I'd
rather not use IE, but see no other choice. That other process is
just far too complicated.

One other thing. I just installed Opera for the first time since I
abandoned it about 5 years ago. I will have to admit that Opera is
greatly improved since the last time I used it. Yet, given the
choice, I still prefer Firefox over both Opera and IE. With one
exception. Opera has a feature to "Fit the Width" on web pages. I
really wish Firefox had that. I dont have the best eyesight, so my
highest resolution I use on my monitor is 800x600. The problem is
that many websites are larger these days, and if anything drives me
bonkers, it's having to scroll the page from left to right to read the
text. Is there any sort of addon for Firefox to do this same thing?

Thanks

Ted Wilson

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

> A while back someone posted a method to save something from the cache.
> I copied the message to a text file and tried it. It does work, but
> the process is way too complicated, and takes a half hour just to save
> one thing. Occasionally I like to save flash videos. If I use IE, I
> can go to the cache and just look for a file named (something).SWF or
> (something).FLV. Firefox has a terrible habit of giving useless names
> to all files, and none contain the extension. That pretty much
> renders the cache useless to save from.
>
> Anyhow, I thought I'd ask if there is any sort of addon that allows
> saving from the cache without all the hassles? Right now, I find it
> easier to copy the URL to IE and save it from the IE cache. I'd
> rather not use IE, but see no other choice. That other process is
> just far too complicated.

try the CacheViewer:

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm