Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Small problem with custom membership provider hopefully!

Small problem with custom membership provider hopefully!

Erik

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully this is an easy one. I've googled around for the answer but cant
find it.

I have simple login page that authenticates via a web service. I am using a
custom membership provider which simply send the username and password to
the web service and I get back a user ID if authentication passes.

The problem is that I don't know how to get the UserID back to the login
page or store it in a session so that I can use it later on. I need the
UserID to pass back in all web service calls to get the relevant data for
that user.

Does anyone know how to pass back data from the custom membership provider?

BTW, I dont want to use a local SQL db to store any data to persist it. This
is all done via the web service

Many thanks

Erik

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Enable Forms Authentication and use your "authenticated" mechanism to create
a formsauthentication ticket which is stored in a cookie. You can use the
Application_AuthenticateRequest event in Global.asax, which fires for every
request, to see that the user has authenticated. For example code, search the
web or go to the QUICKSTART app tutorials at the asp.,net site.
-- Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
http://www.blogmetafinder.com