Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with old office landline phone

Help with old office landline phone

Shel-hed

I grabbed a phone at a thrift store because it looked cool, and I wanted a
quality landline phone. I don't know half of what it can do, but it even has a
card reader and a flip down qwerty keyboard.
The model is Verifone Phoneplus.
It's big, has a 4 line lcd screen, about 3 1/2 x 1 1/2", speakerphone, barcode
jack, printer jack, and a bunch of unfamiliar things on the screen like
"reminder" and "services".
The "Telephone" screen shows redial, caller id, forward, speed dial, voicemail
and 3 way.
Is anyone here familiar with this thing? Is it useful for paging, and do you
need a special account to send text?
Anyone got a manual?
I have no office experience, so most of this is greek to me.
Any info or guesses are cool.

chuckieŽ

"Shel-hed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I grabbed a phone at a thrift store because it looked cool, and I wanted a
> quality landline phone. I don't know half of what it can do, but it even

has a
> card reader and a flip down qwerty keyboard.
> The model is Verifone Phoneplus.
> It's big, has a 4 line lcd screen, about 3 1/2 x 1 1/2", speakerphone,

barcode
> jack, printer jack, and a bunch of unfamiliar things on the screen like
> "reminder" and "services".
> The "Telephone" screen shows redial, caller id, forward, speed dial,

voicemail
> and 3 way.
> Is anyone here familiar with this thing? Is it useful for paging, and do

you
> need a special account to send text?
> Anyone got a manual?
> I have no office experience, so most of this is greek to me.
> Any info or guesses are cool.

http://www.verifone.com
Apparently it's a credit card reader/phone for retail type businesses.
Check there, there were many .pdf's on their various models...luck...

nobody >

Shel-hed wrote:

> I grabbed a phone at a thrift store because it looked cool, and I wanted a
> quality landline phone. I don't know half of what it can do, but it even has a
> card reader and a flip down qwerty keyboard.
> The model is Verifone Phoneplus.
> It's big, has a 4 line lcd screen, about 3 1/2 x 1 1/2", speakerphone, barcode
> jack, printer jack, and a bunch of unfamiliar things on the screen like
> "reminder" and "services".
> The "Telephone" screen shows redial, caller id, forward, speed dial, voicemail
> and 3 way.
> Is anyone here familiar with this thing? Is it useful for paging, and do you
> need a special account to send text?
> Anyone got a manual?
> I have no office experience, so most of this is greek to me.
> Any info or guesses are cool.

I'd be willing to bet this is a digital line phone, with all those
features. Don't be surprised if nothing works when you plug it into your
POTS line. I could be wrong tho..

The more I think about it, it probably is an analog (POTS) phone, My
guess is that it's a point-of-sale (POS) phone for taking credit cards.

Shel-hed

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 19:25:22 -0800, "nobody >" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Shel-hed wrote:
>
>I'd be willing to bet this is a digital line phone, with all those
>features. Don't be surprised if nothing works when you plug it into your
>POTS line. I could be wrong tho..
>
>The more I think about it, it probably is an analog (POTS) phone, My
>guess is that it's a point-of-sale (POS) phone for taking credit cards.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that it's from the mid 90's.
I found this after clicking on a google cached page of Wired.com-
(I keep forgetting about the google cache!)
-----
Dial and Swipe
PhonePlus is smart enough to know you can send more than a conversation over
the line. The built-in keyboard and digital display are handy for taking notes
and entering names and numbers into the speed-dial database. As a phone, it's
top-notch, with one-touch autodialing, call forwarding, return calling, and
three-way calling. But here's the most interesting feature - PhonePlus reads the
magnetic strips on bank cards, with custom software to enable shopping, ATM
transactions, bill paying, and fund transfers from home. If QVC's smart, it'll
give this thing away. PhonePlus: US$199. Verifone:+1 (703) 834 9480.
------

I have a feeling that it was a technology that never took off. (?)
Unfortunately, Verifone doesn't have the manual online. Maybe an email is in
order.