Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Program Installation problems

Program Installation problems

vovan

I've got a new system with Windows XP 64 bit.
I was able to install many programs I need.
I'm working on an old VB6 project which uses several pretty old third party
controls.
I installed 2 Sheridan ActiveX controls with no problem, but another 2 with
the same age from the same Sheridan say "Setup.exe is valid, but for a
different system".
The company Sheridan is not alive, the project is too big to be modified.
Is there any trick or work around to install those obsolete ActiveX controls
on 64bit?

Thank you

vovan

S.SubZero

They are likely 16-bit controls. 64-bit Windows cannot run 16-bit
code, including legacy 16-bit setup programs.

That being said, if you want to keep XP64, but don't need it for that
particular project, you could install XP32 in a virtual machine and
run your program with that. I use Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org) and
it runs XP32 extremely well. I recently got an old program that
included a 16-bit setup, and with this virtual machine I was able to
run the setup and then move the (32-bit) installed program out to my
XP64 machine.