Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Do You Have a DVR Recommendation?

Do You Have a DVR Recommendation?

Consumer

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
Thanks for your input!

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Consumer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
> Thanks for your input!

I just use the one that Comcast provides. It even records in high def.

Fred C. Dobbs

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:28:31 -0500, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Consumer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
>> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
>> Thanks for your input!

>I just use the one that Comcast provides. It even records in high def.

But it doesnt have a DVD Recorder built in.

krw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
> Thanks for your input!

I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
that it doesn't blink 12:00?

--
Keith

Consumer

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
>> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
>> Thanks for your input!

>I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
>well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
>what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
>that it doesn't blink 12:00?

We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
digital tuner though.

krw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly DVR with a digital
> >> tuner? I prefer the kind with only DVD recording - not VCR included.
> >> Thanks for your input!

> >I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
> >well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
> >what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
> >that it doesn't blink 12:00?

> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
> digital tuner though.

There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
the cable box's tuner.

--
Keith

Stan Brown

Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500 from krw <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
> > and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
> > it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
> > digital tuner though.

> There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
> the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
> the cable box's tuner.

"Many such units" is an outdated statement. There *used* to be a lot
of choice, but several manufacturers have dropped out this year.

(Interestingly, some, such as Pioneer, are still selling hard-drive
units to the Canadian market.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Max

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> graced this
newsgroup with:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:48:20 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
>> >(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> >I've had a LiteOn DVR/DVD recorder for a couple of years. It works
>> >well enough, though also have a DVR in the cable box. Don't know
>> >what you consider "user friendly". Can you program a VCR well enough
>> >that it doesn't blink 12:00?

>> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
>> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
>> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
>> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
>> digital tuner though.

>There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
>the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
>the cable box's tuner.

Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

krw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 22:49:22 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> graced this
> newsgroup with:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam-
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> We've used VCRs for years but now we're looking into digital equipment
> >> now. I thought I saw a unit somewhere that records onto a hard drive
> >> and then allows you to record to a DVD if you want to keep it. I think
> >> it was Samsung. Perhaps this would be better. Not sure if it had a
> >> digital tuner though.

> >There are many such units. Our LiteOn is about three years old and
> >the idea wasn't new then. I've rarely used the tuner though, rather
> >the cable box's tuner.

> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
required.

--
Keith

Max

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:39:56 -0500, krw <(E-Mail Removed)> graced this
newsgroup with:

>> Tivo's will do that by copying across your home network to your pc,
>> then burn from your pc's dvd burner.

>That sounds like a nice feature. Too bad the cable company's won't.
>All the hardware is there but no software (or it's disabled). The
>problem with TiVo is that it's not "cable ready", by today's
>definition of "cable ready". The cable company's box is still
>required.

actually, not any more. You just need to rent the cable cards from
your cable provider. For the dual channel Series 3 HD Tivo, I rent
two cable cards from Verizon FIOS for $6.50 a month. The cards
inserted into the Tivo take the place of any set top box from the
cable/satellite company.

Then you just plug the cable that would normally be plugged into
the cable companys box directly into the Tivo.