Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is this legit?

Is this legit?

Stara Suka

Got this a moment ago, and laughed my arse off. If I won a lottery
in the U.K., why is the payout from Africa?

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:43:21 +1300 (NZDT)
From: INFORMATION_DEPARMENT <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED AS THE MICROSOFT AWARD
WINNER..2007!!!
To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Microsoft Award Team
20 Craven Park, Harlesden
London NW10
United Kingdom
Ref: BTD/968/05
Batch: 409978E
Dear Sir/Madam,

WINNING NOTIFICATION
The prestigious Microsoft and Aol has set out and successfully
organised a Sweepstakes marking the end of year anniversary and we
have
rolled out over $25,000,000.00(Twenty-five Million American Dollars)
for the end of year Anniversary Draws. Participants for this draws
were
randomly selected and drawn from a wide range of web hosts which we
enjoy their patronage.

The selection was made through a computer draw system attaching
personalised email addresses to ticket numbers, if you ignore this,
you
will regret it later. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet
companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer
remains
the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an
e-mail
data test.

Your email address as indicated was drawn and attached to ticket
number
008795727498 with serial numbers BTD/9080648302/06 and drew the
lucky
numbers 14-21-25-39-40-47(20) which subsequently won you
$1,000,000.00
(One Million US Dollars) already issued in a cheque as one of the
10 jackpot winners in this draw. You have therefore won the entire
winning sum of $1,000,000.00 (One Million US Dollars). The draws
registered as Draw number one was conducted in Brockley, London
United
Kingdom .

These Draws are commemorative and as such special. Please note that
your lucky winning number falls within our Africa booklet
representative in West Africa as indicated in your play coupon, In
view
of this, your $1,000,000.00 (One Million US Dollars)
cheque would be released to you by our Fiduciary Agent in West
Africa,
Our Fiduciary agent will immediately commence the process to
facilitate
the release of your cheque as soon as you contact him.

Make contact with your designated agent who shall by duty guide you
through the process to facilitate the release of your winning
cheque.
To file for your claim, Please Contact your fiduciary agent with the
details below:

NAME: MR David Moore
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

You are advised to contact your Fiduciary Agent with the following
details to avoid unnecessary delays and complications with your

Name (in Full) :................................
Country:..........................................
Address:.........................................
Direct Telephone No:.......................
Age:.............................................. ....
Sex:.............................................. ....
Occupation/position:.......................
Ticket Number:..................................
Serial Number:...................................

Thank you for being part of this promotional award program.
Our special thanks and gratitude to Bill Gates and his associates.
We
wish you the best of luck as you spend your good fortune. Thank you
for
being part of our commemorative end of year Anniversary Draws. Happy
end of year celebration.

Sincerely,
MRS. SUSAN LARS
Microsoft Promotion Team
PLEASE NOTE! Any claim not made before (14) working days from date
of
notification will indicate that the winner has voluntarily forfeited

Mike Easter

Stara Suka wrote:
> Got this a moment ago, and laughed my arse off. If I won a lottery
> in the U.K., why is the payout from Africa?

There are various reasons that it isn't optimal or even acceptable to
post a spam into an ordinary newsgroup, and there are guidelines to help
you find a way to display something if you should want to talk about it
without posting it here.

Such an item with complete headers and unrendered spambody is acceptable
when posted according to the guidelines for
news.admin.net-abuse.sightings. The idea is that the built-in followups
to the sightings post would go into the group
news.admin.net-abuse-email, but not here, or you could post a news link
or a googlegrouops link to your sightings post. Unfortunately, there is
a significant delay between posting to sightings and the moderation
process before a link to the post would be accessible.

Alternatively, you could register to be a free spamcop reporter, paste
your ugly spam into its parser, copy the resultant tracking url, cancel
the report, and paste the oneline tracker here. That method takes only
a few seconds.

It is 'gauche' or rude and ugly by other names, to be posting such ugly
spam/scam into newsgroups such as this one. The readers here get quite
enough spam/scam of their own to not be wanting to look at something you
dragged out of what should have been in your trash. You also shouldn't
be opening and reading your spam in the same manner as spam respondents
and spamsupporters do.

"Looky looky at the spam I got! See what it says?"

No good.

--
Mike Easter

Stara Suka

Hi Mike. Before I plonk you for giving me ****, I posted the
headers, etc. because I was hoping that someone who knows how to
read and decipher that stuff would be able to determine for me if it
was legit. I kind of doubt that it is, but, for example, Ron
Martell (sp) or another MS MVP may know whether the name attached as
a valid MS employee actually is.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: