Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Kompozer Vs SeaMonkey

Kompozer Vs SeaMonkey

1001 Webs

I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

Kompozer:
http://www.kompozer.net/
Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
weird manner.
You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
is, not sure ...
Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122

SeaMonkey:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
Has anyone done any real work with it?

I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
What You Need )
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
But it only runs on Linux.

Chaddy2222

On Dec 7, 10:54 am, 1001 Webs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
> WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
>
> Kompozer:http://www.kompozer.net/
> Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
> The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
> code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
> weird manner.
> You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
> is, not sure ...
> Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
> a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122
>
> SeaMonkey:http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
> Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
> Has anyone done any real work with it?

<snip>
I use KompoZer all the time. I use it with the HandCoder extention so
I can edit PHP with Crimson Editor and it works well.
You need the HC plug-in as otherwise the source gets kind of messed
up. It's also better for editing PHP.

Petersen, Vegard Krog

1001 Webs skrev:
> I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
> WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
>
> Kompozer:
> http://www.kompozer.net/
> Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
> The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
> code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
> weird manner.
> You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
> is, not sure ...
> Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
> a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122

Wrong.
Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
program at all. Use Tidy.

Check the Forum: http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/

Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
will not the reformat issue.

> SeaMonkey:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
> Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
> Has anyone done any real work with it?

The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

I don't think this module is the one that is being worked on the most...

> I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
> What You Need )
> http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
> But it only runs on Linux.

Toby A Inkster

1001 Webs wrote:

> I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
> What You Need )
> http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
> But only runs on Linux.

Bluefish runs fine on Mac OS X. It'll also run on Windows if you have
Cygwin installed. The Cygwin package for Bluefish is here:

ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinport...NOME/bluefish/

It's the same version number as the latest stable release from the
Bluefish website, so should be reasonably up-to-date. (I'm pretty sure
that the current Cygwin X server is rootless now.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 12 days, 18:21.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/1...tunes-sharing/

Steve Sobol

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.www.webmaster.]
On 2007-12-07, Petersen, Vegard Krog <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
> foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".
>
> I don't think this module is the one that is being worked on the most...

Does anyone else have a cross-platform editor that they like then? I installed
SeaMonkey and didn't see anything useful that I didn't already have with
Kompozer. I don't like the reformatting, either.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
Geek-for-hire. Details: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevesobol

1001 Webs

On Dec 6, 7:39 pm, "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 1001 Webswrote:
> > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey...
> > Kompozer:
> > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
> > code when you open a file.

> I recently gave up on Kompozer and especially the CasCadeS CSS editor which
> can really mess up your stylesheet. TopStyle Lite is far superior.
>
> > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea.

> HandCoder was a disaster for me.
>
> > SeaMonkey:

> I haven't tried SeaMonkey yet. Thanks for the link.

I've just come to realize that SeaMonkey also reformats the code ...

> How about Amaya or 1stPage 2000 (not 1stPage 2006!)?

Amaya doesn't handle very well documents created beforehand.
By that I mean that if you try to edit a table.based html file, it
does some strange visualization quirks.
I suppose it is ok if you build the file from the ground up in Amaya,
and I know it'll be very educational to go that route, but I just
don't get accustomed to the interface.
1stPage 2000 was in my computer a long time ago and I recall I did
like it and even used it for a couple of sites, but it only runs on
Windows, doesn't it?

1001 Webs

On Dec 6, 11:31 pm, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 10:54 am,1001 Webs<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
> > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

> > Kompozer:http://www.kompozer.net/
> > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
> > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
> > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
> > weird manner.
> > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
> > is, not sure ...
> > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
> > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122

> > SeaMonkey:http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
> > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
> > Has anyone done any real work with it?

> <snip>
> I use KompoZer all the time. I use it with the HandCoder extention so
> I can edit PHP with Crimson Editor and it works well.
> You need the HC plug-in as otherwise the source gets kind of messed
> up. It's also better for editing PHP.

Yep, I understand how it goes now.
I use Notepad++ though. You should check it out.
I specially like the ability to collapse everything in between tags.

1001 Webs

On Dec 7, 3:18 am, "Petersen, Vegard Krog"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 1001 Websskrev:
>
> > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
> > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

> > Kompozer:
> >http://www.kompozer.net/
> > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
> > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
> > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
> > weird manner.
> > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
> > is, not sure ...
> > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
> > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
> >http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122

> Wrong.
> Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
> The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
> program at all. Use Tidy.
>
> Check the Forum:http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/
>
> Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
> will not the reformat issue.
>
> > SeaMonkey:
> >http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
> > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
> > Has anyone done any real work with it?

> The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
> foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

What's the difference between Kompozer, and "Composer"?

1001 Webs

On Dec 7, 6:48 am, Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> 1001 Webswrote:
> > I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
> > What You Need )
> >http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
> > But only runs on Linux.

> Bluefish runs fine on Mac OS X. It'll also run on Windows if you have
> Cygwin installed. The Cygwin package for Bluefish is here:
>
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinport...NOME/bluefish/

Can't connect to the site.
I'll try later, thanks.

Ed Mullen

1001 Webs wrote:
> On Dec 7, 3:18 am, "Petersen, Vegard Krog"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 1001 Websskrev:
>>
>>> I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
>>> WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
>>> Kompozer:
>>> http://www.kompozer.net/
>>> Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
>>> The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
>>> code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
>>> weird manner.
>>> You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
>>> is, not sure ...
>>> Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
>>> a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...32&atid=853122

>> Wrong.
>> Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
>> The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
>> program at all. Use Tidy.
>>
>> Check the Forum:http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/
>>
>> Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
>> will not the reformat issue.
>>
>>> SeaMonkey:
>>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>>> Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
>>> Has anyone done any real work with it?

>> The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
>> foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

> What's the difference between Kompozer, and "Composer"?

Composer is a component of the the Netscape Suite, the Mozilla Suite,
and the SeaMonkey Suite. That is the chronology of
development/evolution. The only one actively in development is now
SeaMonkey. However, I don't know how much, if any, dev work is being
done on Composer.

When Mozilla.Org dropped development of the Mozilla Suite, Daniel
Glazman started a project to build a stand-alone Composer and called it
Nvu. Apparently the Nvu project is now dead.

Kompozer is built on the same underlying rendering engine as Composer
and Nvu. The main difference is that Kompozer is in active development.

Use Kompozer as it's the most advanced of the three.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net