Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Follow ups being ignored.

Follow ups being ignored.

Douglas

It has become an issue in recent times to correctly employ the use of
follow-up headers in posting to the photo groups and in particular, country
specific groups. I'd like to provide those responsible Netizens who actually
care about the well being of Usenet with some information on how to limit
hostilities.

I, like a couple of other responsible (well more responsible perhaps)
subscribers have taken to setting follow-ups as required under the RFC of
Usenet. Sadly a few ignorant trolls are hell bent on ignoring responsible
posting practices.

Even more sadly these people are American. They regularly re-insert groups
not in the follow-up list when replying to messages. The worst offender is
none other than my own personal troll, Annika1980 - my bitch!

With the intent to provide the unsure (as opposed to the uncaring) with
information on how to ensure cross posted messages do not attract cross
posted replies... I offer these gems of wisdom.

In Outlook Express you can gain access to the header pane from the "view"
menu ticking "view all headers". This enables you to see what group the
original message is set to accept follow-up replies at. The only time
netiquette and the RFCs condone altering this destination is when your news
server does not carry the group set for follow-ups.

Another way to limit hostilities between nations is for Americans to
recognize sovereignty of other countries. Groups beginning with the
abbreviation of a country (I.E.) IT, AUS, CAN, DE etc are country specific
groups. Unless people have on-topic items of specific interest to people in
these countries, they are best not to post to them and thereby avoiding a
conflict.

Posting links to photo suitable for General Exhibition in aus.photo is
actually on-topic. Posting defamation and opinions on anything not related
to AUStralian PHOTOs is not welcome nor is it acceptable behaviour. I am
guilty of taking a personal situation into this group myself but seeing as
it is now a legal matter... I'll stop.

Groups with ALT, REC etc as the first identifiers are international groups
even though they may have originated in a specific country. The charter for
these groups may or may not allow commercial advertising. Groups without a
charter (such as) Aus.Photo can have on-topic commercial posts without
breaching etiquette.

The subject of Netiquette is, like most rules for behaviour a boring one.
Start here for a simplified overview of it.
http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html Nym-shifting, mail2news
services and privacy proxy servers have all emerged as ways to defeat common
decency by hiding the identity of a person attacking someone through news
groups and forums - particularly Google Groups.

This is all going to change in 2008. Google have acknowledged their roll in
society and are taking steps to prevent the disgusting behaviour of a few
from embroiling Google in serious law suits.

Posted in the hope Usenet Netizens will adopt a responsible manner when
communicating with each other.

Watch out for the pig with wings,
Douglas

canon.user

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:08:10 +1000 'Douglas'
wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

[rec.photo.digital added back in]

>The subject of Netiquette is, like most rules for behaviour a boring one.
>Start here for a simplified overview of it.
>http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html Nym-shifting, mail2news
>services and privacy proxy servers have all emerged as ways to defeat common
>decency by hiding the identity of a person attacking someone through news
>groups and forums - particularly Google Groups.
>
>This is all going to change in 2008. Google have acknowledged their roll in
>society and are taking steps to prevent the disgusting behaviour of a few
>from embroiling Google in serious law suits.

Can you point me to some info on the Google changes for 2008?

Mr. Strat

In article <3aa933ab5c45174189ea3b5103cab1a1@localhost.127.0. 0.1>,
canon.user <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >This is all going to change in 2008. Google have acknowledged their roll in
> >society and are taking steps to prevent the disgusting behaviour of a few
> >from embroiling Google in serious law suits.

> Can you point me to some info on the Google changes for 2008?

I'm wondering if they have acknowledged their "roll" or role...

canon.user

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:34:46 -0800 'Mr. Strat'
wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

>In article <3aa933ab5c45174189ea3b5103cab1a1@localhost.127.0. 0.1>,
>canon.user <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >This is all going to change in 2008. Google have acknowledged their roll in
>> >society and are taking steps to prevent the disgusting behaviour of a few
>> >from embroiling Google in serious law suits.

>> Can you point me to some info on the Google changes for 2008?

>I'm wondering if they have acknowledged their "roll" or role...

I guess we have to wait for Douglas to respond to know that

John McWilliams

Annika1980 wrote:
> On Dec 6, 5:08 pm, "Douglas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Another way to limit hostilities between nations is for Americans to
>> recognize sovereignty of other countries.

> **** you and your nationalistic bullshit.
> Besides, WTF does this have to do with tennis, anyway?

Nada. Groups adjusted.

The fastest way to not further inflame those ignorant souls of every
Nation would be if both Bret and Douglas would STFU.

Neither has the fortitude to walk away. Nyaaaah, nyaaaah, nyaaaah, a
pox on both your houses, FOAD, and *have a nice day*......

You can both be proud that your little boy sandbox tantrums has pretty
well stifled these two groups as to open and meaningful dialogs on
anything photographic.

--

lsmft

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

John McWilliams wrote:

> You can both be proud that your little boy sandbox tantrums has pretty
> well stifled these two groups as to open and meaningful dialogs on
> anything photographic.

Actually if you simply use a good set of filters there is plenty of open
and meaningful dialog, and the S/N ratio goes up significantly.

See "http://nordicgroup.us/rpdfilter/rec.photo.digital.txt" for a text
file of e-mail addresses to filter.

If you're using Thunderbird, you can simply cut and paste the contents
of "http://nordicgroup.us/rpdfilter/rec.photo.digital.dat" into your own
"rec.photo.digital.dat" file.

The only negative is the resident troll that changes e-mail addresses
with every post in order to get past everyone's kill files. Such is
life, but as far as I can tell, he's the only person doing that.

John McWilliams

SMS wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> You can both be proud that your little boy sandbox tantrums has pretty
>> well stifled these two groups as to open and meaningful dialogs on
>> anything photographic.

> Actually if you simply use a good set of filters there is plenty of open
> and meaningful dialog, and the S/N ratio goes up significantly.
>
> See "http://nordicgroup.us/rpdfilter/rec.photo.digital.txt" for a text
> file of e-mail addresses to filter.
>
> If you're using Thunderbird, you can simply cut and paste the contents
> of "http://nordicgroup.us/rpdfilter/rec.photo.digital.dat" into your own
> "rec.photo.digital.dat" file.
>
> The only negative is the resident troll that changes e-mail addresses
> with every post in order to get past everyone's kill files. Such is
> life, but as far as I can tell, he's the only person doing that.

Yes, filters improve the s/n ratio, but that's for those who have been
around a while and know how to and choose to use them. It pretty much
leaves out the newcomer who wants to learn something about photography.

--
John McWilliams

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

John McWilliams wrote:

> Yes, filters improve the s/n ratio, but that's for those who have been
> around a while and know how to and choose to use them. It pretty much
> leaves out the newcomer who wants to learn something about photography.

Such is Usenet. While rec.photo.digital seems to attract a
disproportionate number of trolls, all the Usenet groups seem to have a
plethora of spammers trying to sell a wide variety of garbage, and
spammers that happen to have "found" some great web site. Fortunately
most news readers do an adequate job of filtering by both e-mail
addresses and key words.

Sometimes I get in the mood of filtering anyone that even responds to
the trolls, because that just encourages them to troll even more.

Annika1980

On Dec 8, 2:01 pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Neither has the fortitude to walk away. Nyaaaah, nyaaaah, nyaaaah, a
> pox on both your houses, FOAD, and *have a nice day*......
>
> You can both be proud that your little boy sandbox tantrums has pretty
> well stifled these two groups as to open and meaningful dialogs on
> anything photographic.

What's stoppin you from posting photo-related posts?
I notice your fingers ain't broke when it comes time for your weekly
preaching to D-Mac and me.
Come to think of it, I can't recall you ever offering up any
photographic discussion. But boy you come flyin in here fast whenever
someone is going at it.

So what I'm sayin is, "You can kiss my ass way up in the red!"

Douglas

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Annika1980 wrote:
>> On Dec 6, 5:08 pm, "Douglas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Another way to limit hostilities between nations is for Americans to
>>> recognize sovereignty of other countries.

>> **** you and your nationalistic bullshit.
>> Besides, WTF does this have to do with tennis, anyway?

> Nada. Groups adjusted.
>
> The fastest way to not further inflame those ignorant souls of every
> Nation would be if both Bret and Douglas would STFU.
>
> Neither has the fortitude to walk away. Nyaaaah, nyaaaah, nyaaaah, a pox
> on both your houses, FOAD, and *have a nice day*......
>
> You can both be proud that your little boy sandbox tantrums has pretty
> well stifled these two groups as to open and meaningful dialogs on
> anything photographic.
>
> --
>
> lsmft

So why blame me for defending myself against the mongrel?
All you have to do John is drive on over to Bret's house and persuade him
what he is doing is ruining 2 newsgroups and to stop. That done I have no
need to defend myself... Groups go back to normal... As in Usenet version of
normal.

Douglas