Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 7204 vxr fa mtu

7204 vxr fa mtu

no@no.no

I have two locations connected over ATM network. On both locations I have
systems that communicate over IP and need mtu to be not less then 2500 over
whole path (fiber over IP switches from Cisco). But I cannot set mtu to
2500 on fast eth ports on 7204 (NP225). What are my options?

Thanks!

Merv

Do you own all of the equipment end -to-end ?

What are the Cisco switch model numbers ?

Merv

Oh and what else do the 7204's connect to ?

no@no.no

On 22 Feb 2006 14:22:13 -0800, Merv wrote:

> Oh and what else do the 7204's connect to ?

yes I do own it and I am not sure about switches exactly, routers are
connected to 4506 and those fiberoverip switches are connected to 4506
also. Point is that fiberoverip link is not working and storage people are
telling me that mtu MUST be 2500. But we did some tests with both storage
systems on one location, connected over 10M half duplex eth and default
1500 mtu and everything worked ok.

Merv

Do the data flows have to go thru your router or can they just flow
over you 4506 switches ?

What supervisor do you have on the 4506 - SUP V ?

If you have a SUP V, are you using the GE ports ?

Do you know the make and model of the SAN storage devices ?

Do you know the performance and throughput requirements for the storage
devices ?

Drx

On 23 Feb 2006 01:33:31 -0800, Merv wrote:

> Do the data flows have to go thru your router or can they just flow
> over you 4506 switches ?
>
> What supervisor do you have on the 4506 - SUP V ?
>
> If you have a SUP V, are you using the GE ports ?
>
> Do you know the make and model of the SAN storage devices ?
>
> Do you know the performance and throughput requirements for the storage
> devices ?

they have to go through switches. SAN switches are MDS 9216. On 4506 sup
mod is II+ and SAN switch is connected to ports that support jumbo frames
(2 GBIC on sup mod). SAN devices are some kind of EMC disks. I do not know
throughput requirements but in this stage I need to solve jumbo frames on
complete path between SANs, wich means MDS - 4506 - 7204 - ATM network -
7204 - 4506 - MDS. So far I am stuck with 7204 eth ports.

Merv

Your last post really clarified your setup - thanks.

Is the only role that the 7204 plays is to connect 4506 to ATM WAN ?

Or are there other devices connected to 4506?

Drx

On 23 Feb 2006 01:45:45 -0800, Merv wrote:

> Your last post really clarified your setup - thanks.
>
> Is the only role that the 7204 plays is to connect 4506 to ATM WAN ?
>
> Or are there other devices connected to 4506?

other devices also. Both locations I am talking about has cca 200 people
working on it. ATM link is 6Mb between locations. There is QOS on link and
I can ping between MDS switches

Merv

7204 options for Gigabit Ethernet connection to 4506 switch

MTU can be as high as 4470

a) NPE-GE1

b) PA-GE

Drx

On 23 Feb 2006 02:04:09 -0800, Merv wrote:

> 7204 options for Gigabit Ethernet connection to 4506 switch
>
> MTU can be as high as 4470
>
> a) NPE-GE1
>
> b) PA-GE

I know but I do not have those interfaces. So I have two options

1. eithere buy them
2. or convince SAN guys that MTU higher then 2500 is not MANDATORY

I've read som doc about this and I think that MTU highrt then 2500 is not
mandatory. What do you think?

Removing Subinterfaces from a CISCO 7204 Router John Ireland Cisco 4 11-23-2010 01:13 PM
Boot Problem with Cisco 7204 VXR Router Dave Roekle Cisco 1 10-28-2008 11:16 PM
ip mtu / interface mtu V. Evans Cisco 1 08-19-2005 10:52 PM
t3 MTU size versus a 100MBps MTU... Bill B. Cisco 7 05-12-2004 11:14 PM
7204 IMA ATM DLCI question Tim J. Dunn Cisco 1 10-16-2003 07:01 AM

Advertisments