Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > is this newsgroup for newbies

is this newsgroup for newbies

santosh

[ ... ]

> Personally, I prefer moderated newsgroups, but
> for some reason comp.lang.c.moderated is a ghost town.

Traffic on C language is usually too high for practical moderation. As a
result posts can take days to appear on c.l.c.m after they have been
sent. That was probably the reason that no one favours it.

> If you post a question to this newsgroup, any little detail of your
> question might prompt one of the more advanced people to make a
> comment that will trigger yet another flame war. Be warned.

The term flame war is misleading. In war you have no choice. On Usenet
you always have the choice of ignoring useless posts/threads.

vlsidesign

On Dec 6, 12:27 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A2B said:
>
> > [is this newsgroup for newbies] or advanced ?

> Both. This newsgroup is for anyone who wishes to discuss the C programming
> language.
>
> As you will quickly discover, there are C experts here who are very willing
> to help you to get past sticking-points in your learning.

This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good money
to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
contributions from the experts.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
One of (yet another one of) RH's sock puppets <(E-Mail Removed)> fawned:
>This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good money
>to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
>contributions from the experts.

Yeah. Right.

Kenneth Brody

A2B wrote:

> or advanced ?

"What they said."

Also, please realize that what is discussed here is "C", as defined
by the ISO standards. It does not include extensions to the language,
such as network I/O, graphics, and so on, even if you are using a
"standard" API, as there are other places where those topics can be
discussed.

There are numerous reasons for limiting the discussion to just the
ISO C standards. Among these (in no particular order) are the fact
that allowing discussions of anything written in "C", regardless of
the extensions being used, would dilute the intent of this group,
which is to focus on standard C itself. Also, while most of the
regulars here know numerous such extensions (even "standard" ones),
no one knows all. If someone were to post an answer on one of
these topics, and that answer was wrong, or included bad advice for
that particular extension, the others here couldn't point that out.
Finally, there are usually better venus for discussing such topics,
such as the many Microsoft groups for discussing Windows programs,
or numerous Unix groups for discussing things such as TCP/IP or
POSIX functions.

Don't e-mail me at: <(E-Mail Removed)>

Malcolm McLean

"Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > In
article
> One of (yet another one of) RH's sock puppets <(E-Mail Removed)> fawned:
>>This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good
>> money to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
>>contributions from the experts.

> Yeah. Right.

Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he devotes to
helping newbies.
You can say other things against him, but I think you've got to grant that.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > In
>article
>> One of (yet another one of) RH's sock puppets <(E-Mail Removed)> fawned:
>>>This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good
>>> money to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
>>>contributions from the experts.

>> Yeah. Right.
>>

>Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he devotes to
>helping newbies.

Helping them to the door, you mean.

At best, the help is "go see newsgroup xyz and re-ask your question
there". Now, as an experienced Usenetter (and, presumably native
speaker of English), you may think this is just fine (and you may not
see how cruel it is), but trust me, as a newbie, you just don't want to
hear that sort of crap. Especially when you know damn well that they
could easily answer it, and that they are feigning ignorance of what
you're asking.

>You can say other things against him, but I think you've got to grant that.

I don't people credit for effort. I.e., if the help is useless, then
the effort is worse than nothing.

CBFalconer

Malcolm McLean wrote:
> "Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> fawned:
>>> This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good
>>> money to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the
>>> awesome contributions from the experts.

>> Yeah. Right.

> Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he
> devotes to helping newbies. You can say other things against
> him, but I think you've got to grant that.

Please don't amuse the McCormack troll with responses.

Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Malcolm McLean wrote:
>> "Kenny McCormack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> fawned:
>>>
>>> Yeah. Right.

>> Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he
>> devotes to helping newbies. You can say other things against
>> him, but I think you've got to grant that.

>Please don't amuse the McCormack troll with responses.

Um, Malcolm has a brain. He cannot be pushed around by you turkeys.

I know you and Thompson are used to being able to push the newbies
around, but it won't work here.

How we recognize newbies as newbies Alf P. Steinbach C++ 31 08-21-2007 05:12 PM
Re: Newbies? - Usenet don't need no steenking newbies! =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?= Digital Photography 2 07-17-2004 02:26 PM
newbies and quartus PATRICE VHDL 2 06-14-2004 11:20 PM
newbies and bootcampers unite =?Utf-8?B?ZG9u?= MCSE 29 01-23-2004 11:05 PM

Advertisments