Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > is this newsgroup for newbies

is this newsgroup for newbies

A2B

or advanced ?

Antoninus Twink

On 6 Dec 2007 at 18:31, A2B wrote:
> or advanced ?

This group enjoys posts from newbies because it can tear them to shreds
for its own amusement.

But mainly this group is for language lawyers who want to argue all day
about irrelevant details and corner cases, and have complete contempt
for anyone attempting to use C in the real world.

Julienne Walker

On Dec 6, 1:31 pm, A2B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> or advanced ?

It's for everyone, but you'll find more advanced discussions than
beginner stuff. For more basic discussions, you might try
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

-Jul

Ian Collins

A2B wrote:
> or advanced ?

Anyone, but do follow good Usenet practice and check the FAQ (google for
it) before posting.

--
Ian Collins.

Flash Gordon

A2B wrote, On 06/12/07 18:31:
> or advanced ?

Here we tend to expect beginners to show signs of having made a serious
attempt at solving their problem before asking for help. This should
include looking at the comp.lang.c FAQ which is at http://c-faq.com/ and
looking things up in a text book. Don't worry if you have problems
understanding some of what is in the FAQ since not all of it is beginner
material.

You should also read http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/intro_to_clc and
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community...ility_attitude to
get a better understanding of what many of the regulars think.

Don't worry if code you post here gets "ripped to shreds". People who
have been programming in C for years still have their code ripped to
shreds here, but if you can step back from your code and accept the
criticisms as being criticisms of the code and not of you then you will
find that you can learn a *lot* from the problems people point out in
your code.

Finally, ignore A.Twink, it is one of the resident trolls.
--
Flash Gordon

Mark McIntyre

A2B wrote:
> or advanced ?

Both. Though discussions often get very advanced very quickly...

But do lurk for a while first, and read the "Welcome" message and FAQ
referenced in my sig.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Mark McIntyre

Antoninus Twink wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2007 at 18:31, A2B wrote:
>> or advanced ?

> This group enjoys posts from newbies because it can tear them to shreds
> for its own amusement.

And ignore A Twink, its a troll.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Richard Heathfield

A2B said:

> [is this newsgroup for newbies] or advanced ?

Both. This newsgroup is for anyone who wishes to discuss the C programming
language.

As you will quickly discover, there are C experts here who are very willing
to help you to get past sticking-points in your learning.

(There are also several incompetent bozos whose objective seems to be as
unpleasant and obstructive as possible, but you'll soon identify those for
yourself, since they hardly ever discuss C, and even when they try, they
get it wrong. They can safely be ignored.)

For talking around various aspects of the C language and thus helping you
to gain familiarity with them, this group is pretty good.

What this group *won't* do is teach you, or even try to teach you, C
programming. For that, you will need a good teacher or a very good book;
you will find a list of very good C books at this URL:

<http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php>.

But if you get stuck, read the FAQ (the URL for which can also be found on
that page). If you can't find your question there, by all means ask it
here.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Charlton Wilbur

FG> Don't worry if code you post here gets "ripped to
FG> shreds". People who have been programming in C for years still
FG> have their code ripped to shreds here, but if you can step
FG> back from your code and accept the criticisms as being
FG> criticisms of the code and not of you then you will find that
FG> you can learn a *lot* from the problems people point out in
FG> your code.

On the other hand, few things are more happy-making than posting code
in here, seeing a few of the resident experts comment on it, and *not*
having it ripped to shreds.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur

jameskuyper@verizon.net

A2B wrote:
> or advanced ?

This newsgroup is, ideally, a place where newbies can go to post
questions about using the C language that people with more advanced
knowledge of C can answer. It's also a place those people can discuss
things with each other. They can also argue with each other. On
occasion, they can engage in bitter flame wars. That's life in an
unmoderated newsgroup. Personally, I prefer moderated newsgroups, but
for some reason comp.lang.c.moderated is a ghost town.

If you post a question to this newsgroup, any little detail of your
question might prompt one of the more advanced people to make a
comment that will trigger yet another flame war. Be warned.

How we recognize newbies as newbies Alf P. Steinbach C++ 31 08-21-2007 05:12 PM
Re: Newbies? - Usenet don't need no steenking newbies! =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?= Digital Photography 2 07-17-2004 02:26 PM
newbies and quartus PATRICE VHDL 2 06-14-2004 11:20 PM
newbies and bootcampers unite =?Utf-8?B?ZG9u?= MCSE 29 01-23-2004 11:05 PM

Advertisments