Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Computers Can't Connect to Stand Alone Printer

Wireless Computers Can't Connect to Stand Alone Printer

crs

Hello all,

I've read probably 500 messages on the subject, but have discovered no
real answers.
My company recently switched from DSL to Satellite ( Don't ask why ).
Ever since the switch, our computers with wireless access can't connect
to our office printer. The printer is a stand alone printer, not
directly connected to any computer. We still have the same routers and
switches , etc. The only change was the isp connection. I can't even
ping the printer. I realize it is on a different gateway ( wired -
192.168.2.1 & wireless - 192.168.1.1 ) but that never had an effect
before. Just looking for some real suggestions.

Thanks

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Can you ping anything on the 192.168.2.x subnet? If not, your machine may
be configured with an incorrect default gateway, or machineson the
192.168.2.x subnet (eg. the printer) may be configured with an incorrect
default gateway.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"crs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I've read probably 500 messages on the subject, but have discovered no
> real answers.
> My company recently switched from DSL to Satellite ( Don't ask why ).
> Ever since the switch, our computers with wireless access can't connect
> to our office printer. The printer is a stand alone printer, not
> directly connected to any computer. We still have the same routers and
> switches , etc. The only change was the isp connection. I can't even
> ping the printer. I realize it is on a different gateway ( wired -
> 192.168.2.1 & wireless - 192.168.1.1 ) but that never had an effect
> before. Just looking for some real suggestions.
>
> Thanks

crs

It may be the default gateway for the printer that is wrong.
I set the gateway and dns servers and subnet mask back to the same
settings we had when
we had dsl, but still no go. The computers with a wired connection
(192.168.2.1 gateway) still connect fine.
But previously, both the 192.168.2.1 and the 192.168.1.1 computers
connected to the printer fine.

Any more suggestions?
thanks again

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Depending on your network topology, it may also be a static route issue.
However, I agree you should check the settings on the printer itself first -
does it have a default gateway, and if so, can that gateway route to
192.168.1.x?

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"crs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> It may be the default gateway for the printer that is wrong.
> I set the gateway and dns servers and subnet mask back to the same
> settings we had when
> we had dsl, but still no go. The computers with a wired connection
> (192.168.2.1 gateway) still connect fine.
> But previously, both the 192.168.2.1 and the 192.168.1.1 computers
> connected to the printer fine.
>
> Any more suggestions?
> thanks again

crs

Mr. Sherman,

Thanks so much for your replies. It turns out that our satellite
installer plugged a wire into the wrong place. Sorry I
Didn't troubleshoot the wiring first. That's always the best place to
start.

Thanks again

Clay