Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Going straight

Reply
Thread Tools

Going straight

 
 
Ragnar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2007
I have decided to 'go straight' and replace my slightly dodgy installation
of Windows XP Pro with a legitimate version that I can authenticate online
with Microsoft. So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.

It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a Fujitsu-Siemens.

First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I suspect
the answer is NO)

Second question (if the answer was NO) - can I keep my present install
(which works perfectly well by the way) and use my legitimately-acquired COA
in some way to authenticate it? If so does anyone have a link to a good site
that gives blow-by-blow instructions for doing this?

If the worst comes to the worst I can just send the disk back and get a
refund.

TIA
R.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ork .
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2007
NO,NO,NO,NO

Sorry about that..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fruitbat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2007

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NXS5j.606$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have decided to 'go straight' and replace my slightly dodgy installation
>of Windows XP Pro with a legitimate version that I can authenticate online
>with Microsoft. So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.
>
> It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
> Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a Fujitsu-Siemens.
>
> First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I suspect
> the answer is NO)



I do not know the answer to your question - but if it was me I would
a. make a full image of my existing boot drive with software such as
Acronis
b. fully install the new XP Pro
c. only restore the full image if there is now a problem




 
Reply With Quote
 
JTJersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2007
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:38:53 +0000, Ragnar wrote:

> So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.
>


Always an iffy situation. A lot of bogus software gets sold on EBay.

> It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
> Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a
> Fujitsu-Siemens.
>
> First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I
> suspect the answer is NO)
>


I've done this several time's with CD's I purchased from eDirect Software
which were shrink wrapped Windows XP branded by Dell, but a full recovery
disk? Back up your stuff and try it out.

> Second question (if the answer was NO) - can I keep my present install
> (which works perfectly well by the way) and use my legitimately-acquired
> COA in some way to authenticate it? If so does anyone have a link to a
> good site that gives blow-by-blow instructions for doing this?


No

>
> If the worst comes to the worst I can just send the disk back and get a
> refund.
>


Not unless the guy misrepresented the item. If he told you it was a legit
copy of Windows XP and failed to mention it was a recovery disk for a
particular computer that only works in that computer I'd contact him for a
return.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straight ASP in VS.NET Question swoozie ASP .Net 10 03-17-2005 05:31 PM
XP Home logon problem - sometimes logs me off straight away Moody Marco Computer Support 1 01-25-2005 06:37 PM
Straight ASP problem Joe Coppola ASP .Net 2 06-14-2004 11:58 AM
Data Binding - using inline code vs. functions vs. straight binding Jordan ASP .Net 2 02-10-2004 08:32 PM
Send Records Straight To DataTable Beza ASP .Net 2 06-27-2003 02:40 PM



Advertisments