Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No WPA option with windows wifi

No WPA option with windows wifi

andy

Hello,

Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?

Andy

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assuming that your Windows is Win XP with the update for WPA, or Vista.
Windows gets its encryption parameters from the Wireless Card's Drivers. If
the Drivers do not contain the core setting for WPA Windows would not do
WPA.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
> the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
> still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
> ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?
>
> Andy

Barb Bowman

some early wifi cards don't have WPA drivers. what laptop and what
wireless card model?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jim

"andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Im using windows to manage my network connection. I have updated to
> the latest driver for my laptop, and installed the 893357 update and I
> still don't have the option to use WPA. Does anybody have any other
> ideas that maybe would give me the WPA option?
>
> Andy

Since encryption is done by the hardware (otherwise it would be way too
slow), no amount of software alterations will enable WPA. Evidently, the
adapter in your laptop does not support WPA. Thus, the only hope is to
replace the adapter.
Jim

Whirlwind

If your machine is XP, did you put SP2 on the machine before the KB893357
update ?