Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > When that new camera arrives at your doorstep...

When that new camera arrives at your doorstep...

Dave

If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the box
for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually warm up to
room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately bring it into a
warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may damage it!

Joseph Meehan

You have a point, but in 45+ years of photography I have brought all
kinds of cameras in from the cold, including digitals, and never had a
problem. I occasionally had to wait for it to warm up enough to get the
condensation off the lens. It is not just the first time you open the box,
but every time you bring it in from the cold.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Scott W

Dave wrote:
> If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the box
> for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually warm up to
> room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately bring it into a
> warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may damage it!

We don't have that problem, we keep the inside of the house the same
temperature as the outside of the house.

Scott

Jer

Dave wrote:
> If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the box
> for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually warm up to
> room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately bring it into a
> warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may damage it!

We don't have that problem, we keep the outside of the house the same
temperature as the inside of the house.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Ron Hunter

Scott W wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the
>> box for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually
>> warm up to room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately
>> bring it into a warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may
>> damage it!

> We don't have that problem, we keep the inside of the house the same
> temperature as the outside of the house.
>
> Scott

Sure hope you don't live in Nome, Alaska, or Laredo, Tx.!!!

Steve Dell

I normally don't have the problem. I live in Tucson
"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4757725f$0$2303$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave wrote:
>> If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the
>> box for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually
>> warm up to room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately
>> bring it into a warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may damage
>> it!

> We don't have that problem, we keep the inside of the house the same
> temperature as the outside of the house.
>
> Scott

~~NoMad~~

> If a camera been out in the cold, you don't want to take it out of the box
> for probably at least an hour, until it has a chance to gradually warm up
> to room temperature. If you take a cold camera and immediately bring it
> into a warm room, you'll get condensation on it which may damage it!

This is an especially big problem with DSLR cameras that have more mass and
glass that stays cold longer. Be sure not to change lenses or remove lens
caps for at least four hours after bringing them indoors! Moisture can
damage the coatings on lenses.

Moisture can easily get trapped inside a sealed DSLR and corrode the insides
of the camera. Be sure to regularly warm up the camera and let it sit for a
while with the lens removed so that the internals can get dried out.

NM

David J Taylor

~~NoMad~~ wrote:
[]
> This is an especially big problem with DSLR cameras that have more
> mass and glass that stays cold longer. Be sure not to change lenses
> or remove lens caps for at least four hours after bringing them
> indoors! Moisture can damage the coatings on lenses.

I don't accept that statement about damage from moisture, but if it were
true, it would be equally true for both large and small cameras.

> Moisture can easily get trapped inside a sealed DSLR and corrode the
> insides of the camera. Be sure to regularly warm up the camera and
> let it sit for a while with the lens removed so that the internals
> can get dried out.
> NM

I would not normally recommend keeping a DSLR with the lens removed for
any period.

David

Annika1980

On Dec 5, 10:54 pm, Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We don't have that problem, we keep the inside of the house the same
> temperature as the outside of the house.
>
> Scott

I knew my favorite lucky bastard from Hawaii would say that!

Let me guess today's forecast. Low of 74, high of 82.
Was I close?

acl

On Dec 6, 2:35 pm, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
>
> []
>
> > This is an especially big problem with DSLR cameras that have more
> > mass and glass that stays cold longer. Be sure not to change lenses
> > or remove lens caps for at least four hours after bringing them
> > indoors! Moisture can damage the coatings on lenses.

> I don't accept that statement about damage from moisture, but if it were
> true, it would be equally true for both large and small cameras.
>
> > Moisture can easily get trapped inside a sealed DSLR and corrode the
> > insides of the camera. Be sure to regularly warm up the camera and
> > let it sit for a while with the lens removed so that the internals
> > can get dried out.
> > NM

> I would not normally recommend keeping a DSLR with the lens removed for
> any period.
>
> David

I've been changing lenses outdoors, indoors just after coming in from
outdoors (ie while there is still condensation on the camera and lens
that was mounted on it from bringing it inside) etc for around 20
months now with my d200, with no problems.

And I do think that leaving an slr sitting there with the lens off to
dry is a fairly stupid thing to do (sort of like leaving your film slr
open to dry... "dry"? come on!). However, this suggestion is but a
drop in the ocean of stupidity that this group has recently been
turned into.