Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Simple home network?

Simple home network?

Suzy

Hi all

Beginner's question:

I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to a
Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to arrange
to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the modem from
wherever I am?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
to connect to the Router.
Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
from $60 to $100.
It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
higher than Wireless Routers.
Example,
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2

Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you can
save on the price.
Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
rebate.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:475733a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> Beginner's question:
>
> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port to
> a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
> modem from wherever I am?

Suzy

Thanks Jack. So does the access point connect straight to the Netcomm
modem? No computer required? And then do I reach the access point on the air
by using the A100's built in wireless network facility? (switch on the right
hand side of the machine). As you see I am the complete beginner!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> The official answer is, get an Access Point and connect it to the Router.
> The Access Point would serve as a Wireless source allow Wireless computers
> to connect to the Router.
> Access Points can be found on line or in computer store, their price range
> from $60 to $100.
> It is hard to find an Access Point on a good sale their prices tend to be
> higher than Wireless Routers.
> Example,
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...00648&pfp=dec2
>
> Unofficially, regular Wireless Cable/DSL Routers can be configured as an
> Access Point, you will need to configure them for this purpose, but you
> can save on the price.
> Example, CompUSA has the Wireless Router on sale this week for $4.99 after
> rebate.
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...44149&pfp=dec2
> It has to be configured this way, Wireless Router as an AP -
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>
> If you can deal wit the configuration, your problem solved for $4.99.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Suzy" <not@valid> wrote in message news:475733a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all
>>
>> Beginner's question:
>>
>> I currently have a Toshiba A100 notebook connected through the USB port
>> to a Netcomm NB5 Modem/Router. What is the cheapest and simplest way to
>> arrange to be able to take my notebook around the house and access the
>> modem from wherever I am?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Yes you are on the right track.
If you want to understand better how to configure the Wireless this might
further help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).