Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Integer value range

Integer value range

alivingstone

Does anyone know what the range of values the standard 'integer' type
can hold? I've looked through most of the libraries and haven't found
the answer yet.

Thanks in advance.

Filip Miletic

alivingstone wrote:
> Does anyone know what the range of values the standard 'integer' type
> can hold? I've looked through most of the libraries and haven't found
> the answer yet.

Ashenden's "Designer Guide to VHDL", 2nd edition says, at bottom of page 33:
"...An example of an integer type is the predefined type integer, which
includes all the whole numbers representable on a particular host
computer. The language standard requires that the type integer include
at least the numbers -2,147,483,647 to +2,147,483,647 (-2^31+1 to
2^31-1), but VHDL implementations may extend the range."

My $0.02 is that the range of the values is integer'low to integer'high.