Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Boot Vista 64 and 32

Dual Boot Vista 64 and 32

Charlie Russel - MVP

David - yes, that will work. Let me strongly suggest that you have at least
three partitions on the machine. One for Vista 32, one for Vista 64, and one
for data. Keep all your data files on the data drive. You can even repoint
your Documents, Music and Pictures folders to that drive.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"David F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the quick, detailed reply. I only want to be able to use
> application documents (e.g. Word 2007 *.doc) on both 32 and 64. I would
> install separate applications in both versions. That would work, correct?
>
> "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Because they are the same version, both Vista 32 and 64 bit are
>> interchangeable, it doesn't matter which one you install first, just make
>> sure they are installed on separate drives or partitions. As for
>> transferring applications between the two, its possiblem but not reliable
>> especially since both are still architectually different. You will
>> probably receive that registry setting errors or the application is not
>> installed correctly.
>>
>> But if you do install say Microsoft Word on Vista x64, you could try
>> running it from Vista x86 but browsing to the Program files (x86)
>> /Microsoft Office folder on the Vista x64 partition and launch the
>> winword executable. Again, not recommended.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
>> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!9709.entry
>> "David F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I would like to dual boot Vista 64 with Vista 32 which I will use as a
>>>backup for compatibility problems with Vista 64 such as running Cisco's
>>>VPN.
>>>
>>> I've read:
>>> http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
>>>
>>> Which discusses making a Vista 32 which is installed first dual boot
>>> with XP installed second. I assume a similar procedure would be
>>> followed for a dual boot Vista 32 and 64 install. Am I correct?
>>>
>>> Also, are the files (such as MS Word 2007) transferable between Vista 32
>>> and Vista 64?
>>> TIA

Charlie Russel - MVP

VPC isn't going to work for him - he needs USB support. That puts him firmly
in the VMWare camp.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Stefan Pendl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:49:30 -0500, "David F"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Both the Verizon PCMCIA Broadband card which I own and the various USB
>>solutions are supported in both the 32 and 64 bit Vista. The question I
>>have is can I run the PCMCIA from a 32 bit guest while using the Cisco VPN
>>which will only run on Vista 32 and not Vista 64? TIA Is there some sort
>>of FAQ that covers these issues?
>>

> Install VPC and check if hardware virtualization is available, that
> seems to be the only way to know.
> I just installed VPC today and the guest host was running after an
> hour.
>
> ---
> Stefan Pendl

Charlie Russel - MVP

Virtual PC isn't going to be a good solution for you, I don't believe. I
think you're going to need VMWare. And you'll want VMWare Workstation v6 to
get full USB2 support.