Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Multiple redundant csrss.exe processes cause crash

Multiple redundant csrss.exe processes cause crash

oscartheswede

Hello!

Im trying to troubleshoot a problem on a Windows 64x 2003 Server running as
a Terminal Server... Over the course of about two weeks enough redundant
"ghost" csrss.exe processes from former logins remain, slowly building until
the RAM/VRAM runs out resulting in an inevitable IRQL error, which causes the
server to crash. As the csrss.exe is a system process I cannot terminate it
as-it-comes, instead I am forced to schedule continual and repeated reboots
to maintain the csrss.exe process buildup to a minimum...

Also...

Ive understood that running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit terminal server
is problematic at best, so I took the liberty of looking into the windows
registry and found that two keys were registered under the Wow6432Node:
Microsoft/SQLserver
Microsoft/Weaver/Loom
An "alternate" registry key for both is maintained together with the rest of
the 64 bit keys, and I am unsure of whether or not both the 32 bit keys are
integral for running the 64 bit application as a whole (as i have heard that
it is common for 64 bit applications to have small 32 bit processes
integrated into their architecture)... Does this have anything to do with the
redundant csrss.exe?

Any help would be gratefully accepted, at the moment Im feeling pretty lost
as too what to do :/... Im aware of the issues surrounding the use of
Terminal Servers but it is the only relevent solution for our business needs.
Ive done the works with chkdsk etc but havent been able to find the source of
the bothersome 'csrss.exe' processes.

Mike Douglas

Hi There. I run 3 Windows 2003 R2 X64 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2
servers. Never seen this issue you have. You fail to mention what service
pack level you are at?

Mike D

"oscartheswede" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Im trying to troubleshoot a problem on a Windows 64x 2003 Server running as
> a Terminal Server... Over the course of about two weeks enough redundant
> "ghost" csrss.exe processes from former logins remain, slowly building until
> the RAM/VRAM runs out resulting in an inevitable IRQL error, which causes the
> server to crash. As the csrss.exe is a system process I cannot terminate it
> as-it-comes, instead I am forced to schedule continual and repeated reboots
> to maintain the csrss.exe process buildup to a minimum...
>
> Also...
>
> Ive understood that running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit terminal server
> is problematic at best, so I took the liberty of looking into the windows
> registry and found that two keys were registered under the Wow6432Node:
> Microsoft/SQLserver
> Microsoft/Weaver/Loom
> An "alternate" registry key for both is maintained together with the rest of
> the 64 bit keys, and I am unsure of whether or not both the 32 bit keys are
> integral for running the 64 bit application as a whole (as i have heard that
> it is common for 64 bit applications to have small 32 bit processes
> integrated into their architecture)... Does this have anything to do with the
> redundant csrss.exe?
>
> Any help would be gratefully accepted, at the moment Im feeling pretty lost
> as too what to do :/... Im aware of the issues surrounding the use of
> Terminal Servers but it is the only relevent solution for our business needs.
> Ive done the works with chkdsk etc but havent been able to find the source of
> the bothersome 'csrss.exe' processes.

Mike Douglas

I also forgot to mention I am running Terminal Services on these 3 Servers I
got along with Citrix PS 4.0 X64 Edition.
For every user logged into the server you are suppose to see an instance of
csrss.exe. THis is because the csrss.exe file is part of the log on process.
Now when a user logs off then this process will go away for that user. This
is by design.
Hence the reason why you do not see a lot of these instances of csrss.exe
when no one is logged into the server.

Mike D

"Mike Douglas" wrote:

> Hi There. I run 3 Windows 2003 R2 X64 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 2
> servers. Never seen this issue you have. You fail to mention what service
> pack level you are at?
>
> Mike D
>
> "oscartheswede" wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Im trying to troubleshoot a problem on a Windows 64x 2003 Server running as
> > a Terminal Server... Over the course of about two weeks enough redundant
> > "ghost" csrss.exe processes from former logins remain, slowly building until
> > the RAM/VRAM runs out resulting in an inevitable IRQL error, which causes the
> > server to crash. As the csrss.exe is a system process I cannot terminate it
> > as-it-comes, instead I am forced to schedule continual and repeated reboots
> > to maintain the csrss.exe process buildup to a minimum...
> >
> > Also...
> >
> > Ive understood that running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit terminal server
> > is problematic at best, so I took the liberty of looking into the windows
> > registry and found that two keys were registered under the Wow6432Node:
> > Microsoft/SQLserver
> > Microsoft/Weaver/Loom
> > An "alternate" registry key for both is maintained together with the rest of
> > the 64 bit keys, and I am unsure of whether or not both the 32 bit keys are
> > integral for running the 64 bit application as a whole (as i have heard that
> > it is common for 64 bit applications to have small 32 bit processes
> > integrated into their architecture)... Does this have anything to do with the
> > redundant csrss.exe?
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully accepted, at the moment Im feeling pretty lost
> > as too what to do :/... Im aware of the issues surrounding the use of
> > Terminal Servers but it is the only relevent solution for our business needs.
> > Ive done the works with chkdsk etc but havent been able to find the source of
> > the bothersome 'csrss.exe' processes.

jcf jcf is offline
Junior Member
Location: France

Hi oscartheswede,

I got the same problem on windows x32 2003 R2 enterprise edition SP2,

i'm running terminal server on five servers for almost 300 users.

I had to go back to the windows x32 2003 std SP2 for the moment.

The problem appears to be only during a user login, file servers or others no problem.

This bug is known on the microsoft KB, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837585 in my case it's exactly the problem.

I ordered the patch from Microsoft but it doesn't install after SP2.

For the moment they are investigating the case...

If you find a solution, please mail me.

Now i'm thinking about desinstalling Sp2 to apply KB837585 patch and then return to sp2. I'll try that as soon as possible.

PS: My Servers : Hp Proliant Dl 360 G5 / 8gb Ram (in case of hardware problem ???)

Last edited by jcf; 06-04-2008 at 09:26 AM..

jcf jcf is offline
Junior Member
Location: France

For me the problem is solved,

it happears that there's an incompatibility between the integrated NIC (with TOE) and NLB (redirect tcp connections).

I switched to an Intel NIC (no TOE inside) and the csrss program now runs well.
It opens and closes with user logon wihtout problems.

Things are back to "normal conditions".

For information the integrated NIC on my servers are Broadcom one's with TOE integrated, i have tried to de-activate TOE in the drivers but it has done nothing. It has to be another NIC...

Hope this Helps

bye