Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless problem

wireless problem

=?Utf-8?B?a2FyZWVt?=

Dear all

I have a laptop Acer travelmate with a built in intel PRO wireless 2200BG
(802.11b/g Wlan) , well I have a problem , I have a 802.11b wireless network
and I get an excellnet signal but the browsing is slow, and I checked with a
wireless utility (netstumbler) the signal strength is –33dbm and the noise is
–100dbm , so I solved this problem by raising the power management of the
wireless adapter (control panel, system, hardware , device manager , wireless
adapter properities then advanced) to highest and the browsing became faster
and by the way I don’t have a firewall , so what seems to be the problem?

I read that the 11mbps needs a strong signal to make a wireless connection?
Or may be the recevier sensitivity is low?

Can anyone give me a clue?

James Gockel

Could the network just be slow?
Are there other computers on the wireless that are getting faster speeds?
If you hard wire connect up to it, do you get faster speeds?
Are there anyone using alot of bandwidth?
Are you (or another computer) doing alot of Peer to Peer Sharing? (that can
have a major affect on wireless networks. or any network for that matter...)

-James G.

"kareem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all
>
> I have a laptop Acer travelmate with a built in intel PRO wireless 2200BG
> (802.11b/g Wlan) , well I have a problem , I have a 802.11b wireless
> network
> and I get an excellnet signal but the browsing is slow, and I checked with
> wireless utility (netstumbler) the signal strength is -33dbm and the noise
> is
> -100dbm , so I solved this problem by raising the power management of the
> wireless adapter (control panel, system, hardware , device manager ,
> wireless
> adapter properities then advanced) to highest and the browsing became
> faster
> and by the way I don't have a firewall , so what seems to be the problem?
>
> I read that the 11mbps needs a strong signal to make a wireless
> connection?
> Or may be the recevier sensitivity is low?
>
> Can anyone give me a clue?

=?Utf-8?B?a2FyZWVt?=

well , i was monitoring the bandwidth of the network , the bandwidth was
normal and the same problem happens another laptops from different brands ,
even the bandwidth is not consumed , and as to the peer to peer sharing ,
from the bandwidth monitor and the traffic on the network , there is not peer
to peer sharing.

and just to clarify the problem , when i am using the laptop , i get
excellent signal but when i open the wireless network status , there is no
transfer of data but when i raise the power managment , the browsing become
faster and this problem does'nt happen with the PCICMA wireless cards. (DLINK)