Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cisco IP Phone

Cisco IP Phone

Clint Sharp

In message <47570521$0$507$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron Lowe
<ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS@?.?.invalid> writes
>Later versions ( up to the current 8.8 ) are available for the asking.
>You just got to know who to ask

Ahh... I see.

>Upgrading these phones can be tricky, and requires a degree of
>networking expertise. You need to be able to set up a TFTP server, and
>be able to point the phones to it. You also need to learn the syntax
>of the various files the phone uses, since you need to edit these to
>perform the update.

I can manage that, been networking stuff for a while now (since Netware
2.15, damn I feel old)

>Also, there can be issues depending on which version of SCCP is on the
>phone.
>Older versions may require an incremetal update before loading the most
>recent.

Hmm, I foresee some reading and research.

--
Clint Sharp

Clint Sharp

In message <fj88pt$rhk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Koos van den Hout
<(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> writes
>(now to find out from the original poster what exact model he bought)
>
> Koos

I believe it's a 7902 but I'll know more when I collect it (Friday
afternoon)
--
Clint Sharp

alexd

Clint Sharp wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writes

>>I would have thought checking it can dial SIP addresses would be something
>>you would do /before/ buying the handset, not after
>>

> LOL, of course, but it was a shade under 4UKP so I thought I'd take a
> chance on it.

Fair enough. I would have done the same in your position!

11:26:26 up 25 days, 5 min, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.15, 0.15

Earl

TheMgt;173358 Wrote: [color=blue]
> Koos van den Hout wrote:
> > Clint Sharp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

> with
> > telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

> Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
> that's what you've bought.
> 'Software Download'
> (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tableb...p-ip-phone7960)

::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware and
I was unable to get past the name and password box. Is this still
working? If not, or if someone has info on v8.8, please reply or email
me with ZIP. Thanks in advance, Earl::

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=33809

Ron Lowe;173385 Wrote:
> >> You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

> with
> >> telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

> > Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable,

> assuming
> > that's what you've bought.
> > 'Software Download'

> (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tableb...p-ip-phone7960)
>
> Later versions ( up to the current 8.8 ) are .............
> Ron

Ron, would you please give me a private mail or an email at
<remove>largedotfilesatgmxdotnet

thanks, Earl

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=33809
http://www.wirelessforums.org

TheMgt

Earl wrote:[color=blue]
> TheMgt;173358 Wrote:
>> Koos van den Hout wrote:
>>> Clint Sharp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> You can only download firmware from cisco with a valid CCO account

>> with
>>> telephony in the linked cisco contract(s).

>> Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable, assuming
>> that's what you've bought.
>> 'Software Download'
>> (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tableb...p-ip-phone7960)

> ::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware and
> I was unable to get past the name and password box.

The username is 'anonymous' and the password is your email address.

Earl

TheMgt;183680 Wrote: [color=blue]
> Earl wrote:
> > TheMgt;173358 Wrote:

> >> with
> >> Not quite. The 7960/7940 8.2 firmware is freely downloadable,

> assuming
> >> that's what you've bought.
> >> 'Software Download'
> >> ('Software Download'

> (http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tableb...-ip-phone7960))
> >
> > ::I tried the above link in order to download the SIP v8.2 firmware

> and
> > I was unable to get past the name and password box.

> The username is 'anonymous' and the password is your email address.

Thanks for the reply, but using the above does not work for me; have
tried it from several different public IP addresses and every time I am
returned to the user name and password window.

In the meantime, I have resolved the problem thanks to the kind help of
a forum member.

Regards, Earl