Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-bit applications running on 64-bit OS

32-bit applications running on 64-bit OS

Jrdn2

ok so i have my brand new computer. I love it. i have Windows XP Pro x64
Edition running as my OS. I have games such at, QW: Enemy terrioties/ Half
life 2 that run very nicely on my computer. But the games that i can't run
very well are games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, and starcraft. Do you have
any idea's how i can fix this. When i run those smaller programs i get a
black box in the upper left hand corner and it then also flickers small black
lines all the way down the left side of my screen. any idea's please contact
me. if there is anyway possible for me to down the settings to run them just
as well as my other games but then be able to switch the settings back so i
can still run the others to the highest quality and what not i have

S.SubZero

It sounds more like a video problem. Starcraft only runs at I believe
640x480. Are you using a LCD panel or something that maybe doesn't
like this resolution?

I have run Starcraft on 64-bit Windows with no issues.

Tony Sperling

When this 'black box' appears, are you trying to install the game or is it
already installed?

This could suggest a 16bit installer - XP x64 cannot handle that!

It is a fact that not all games are running on XP x64 - you can try
'Compatibility Mode'.

Tony. . .

"Jrdn2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok so i have my brand new computer. I love it. i have Windows XP Pro x64
> Edition running as my OS. I have games such at, QW: Enemy terrioties/ Half
> life 2 that run very nicely on my computer. But the games that i can't run
> very well are games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, and starcraft. Do you
> have
> any idea's how i can fix this. When i run those smaller programs i get a
> black box in the upper left hand corner and it then also flickers small
> black
> lines all the way down the left side of my screen. any idea's please
> contact
> me. if there is anyway possible for me to down the settings to run them
> just
> as well as my other games but then be able to switch the settings back so
> can still run the others to the highest quality and what not i have

Jrdn2

right now the game is installed on my computer and when i ran it for the
first time ever on my computer it worked perfect! After that first time now
its just started to do that. Like it runs perfectly normal just has that box
and on the left side and flickers with black lines on the left. I'm using an
old CRT Monitor that i am using my vid card is a Geforce 8800- 640 MB memory.
And i'm not quite sure if there is a way i can maybe run it as a "32 program"
on my 64 running OS

"S.SubZero" wrote:

> It sounds more like a video problem. Starcraft only runs at I believe
> 640x480. Are you using a LCD panel or something that maybe doesn't
> like this resolution?
>
> I have run Starcraft on 64-bit Windows with no issues.

Jrdn2

See the thing is the first time i ran the game just after i installed it it
worked perfectly! After that when i started it up is when it started to do
that. It was installed and i had no problems with that.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> When this 'black box' appears, are you trying to install the game or is it
> already installed?
>
> This could suggest a 16bit installer - XP x64 cannot handle that!
>
> It is a fact that not all games are running on XP x64 - you can try
> 'Compatibility Mode'.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Jrdn2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ok so i have my brand new computer. I love it. i have Windows XP Pro x64
> > Edition running as my OS. I have games such at, QW: Enemy terrioties/ Half
> > life 2 that run very nicely on my computer. But the games that i can't run
> > very well are games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, and starcraft. Do you
> > have
> > any idea's how i can fix this. When i run those smaller programs i get a
> > black box in the upper left hand corner and it then also flickers small
> > black
> > lines all the way down the left side of my screen. any idea's please
> > contact
> > me. if there is anyway possible for me to down the settings to run them
> > just
> > as well as my other games but then be able to switch the settings back so
> > can still run the others to the highest quality and what not i have

Tony Sperling

I would try and run those games in compatibility mode, designated as XP or
W98 programs. Also, try updating your video drivers - or, you might even try
older drivers as therre's a lot of new technology that isn't always working
perfectly with the most modern cards.

"Jrdn2" wrote:

> right now the game is installed on my computer and when i ran it for the
> first time ever on my computer it worked perfect! After that first time now
> its just started to do that. Like it runs perfectly normal just has that box
> and on the left side and flickers with black lines on the left. I'm using an
> old CRT Monitor that i am using my vid card is a Geforce 8800- 640 MB memory.
> And i'm not quite sure if there is a way i can maybe run it as a "32 program"
> on my 64 running OS
>
> "S.SubZero" wrote:
>
> > It sounds more like a video problem. Starcraft only runs at I believe
> > 640x480. Are you using a LCD panel or something that maybe doesn't
> > like this resolution?
> >
> > I have run Starcraft on 64-bit Windows with no issues.

So then how do i fix this problem of mine? just change the resolution on my
computer in the properties?