Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Always get update and validation errors

Re: Always get update and validation errors

Robert Aldwinckle

(cross-post added to 64bit general)
"PC Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been trying to solve this problem for 5 months now with MS support
> staff, and I'm getting nowhere.
>
> The symptoms are that when I log on as a "normal" user (admin priveleges,
> not restricted), I can't ever validate windows using the website validator,
> nor can I ever use the windows update tool to manually look for updates.
>
> Before anyone says AHA!, let me add a couple things.
>
> 1) I'm using a genuine copy of Windows XP Pro x64
> 2) Don't get hung up on those three little characters - the x64 business is
> almost certainly relevant, but no-one can ever actually explain how.
> 3) I can validate using the downloadable local validator - works perfectly,
> every time.
> 4) I get updates automatically if I enable them, I just can't manually
> connect to scan for updates.
> 5) I can connect and validate if I log on as Administrator.
> 6) If I'm logged on as Admin, I can a) create a new user account with admin
> priveleges; b) logoff as administrator; c)log on as the new user account; and
> then d) windows update and web-based validation immediately stops working!
> 7) I don't get any of the usual error numbers in the update site when the
> scan fails, it just fails and says oops.
>
> This isn't a system problem, it's an OS problem. Why? Because I can switch
> hard drives and boot XP x32 on the same system, and then none of these
> problems occur!

If it's an OS problem, perhaps you should be posting in a newsgroup
which specializes in that OS? (Cross-posting for convenience.)

> This is so much fun. Somebody stop me from laughing.
>
> I'd be delighted to provide msinfo reports, dumps, screenshots, ACL lists,
> whatever it takes. But I can't deal much more with MS support folks who just
> lose interest because the standard, simple fixes don't seem to work.
>
> I've followed almost every piece of advice published on this type of
> problem, and I'm getting nowhere. This includes re-registering the wuweb.dll
> trick (doesn't exist on this system!),

That looks like a clue. What does your WindowsUpdate.log show about
your version of WU/AU?

If you just want to try installing it and related modules download and install
the appropriate version of WindowsUpdateAgent for your OS.
I'm not sure I have ever seen a link for a 64-bit version...

Hmm... Supposedly there is one for X64 too?

(Live Search for
X64 windowsupdateagent site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
<architecture= "x64" clientVersion="5.8.0.2339"
downloadUrl="http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x64.exe"/>
</quote>

Hopefully that link would get you a more current version than that example
refers to! ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---