Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > loose internet

loose internet

=?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=

I'm new to this wireless network stuff so bear with me. I have a Linksys 54g
router, XP home, SP2 installed last night (thought it would allow WPA). My
problem started when I lost my connection and noticed a neighbors unsecure
connection available and my SSID no longer available. I deleted my old SSID,
created a new one using WEP, key set automatically, and now I can see the
router, but loose my internet connection. For example, It let me connect,
then a minute or two later I was working off line. Any tips for setting up
the Linksys 54g and XP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Joseph Stewart

Neil,

What kind of WiFi card do you have in the computer? The driver for the WiFi
card/adapter has to support WPA if you plan to use it. Sounds like you're
having perhaps multiple issues; are you broadcasting the SSID from the
router? Check link status (or the equivalent) on your WiFi PC, what is the
connection speed (ie, 54meg) and signal strength? Is any of the equip near a
cordless phone/base and/or a microwave oven? The radio interference could
cause a signal drop in your router/PC. Try changing the channel on the
router, at least 3 channels away from what it is set for now.
--
Joseph

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm new to this wireless network stuff so bear with me. I have a Linksys

54g
> router, XP home, SP2 installed last night (thought it would allow WPA).

My
> problem started when I lost my connection and noticed a neighbors unsecure
> connection available and my SSID no longer available. I deleted my old

SSID,
> created a new one using WEP, key set automatically, and now I can see the
> router, but loose my internet connection. For example, It let me connect,
> then a minute or two later I was working off line. Any tips for setting

up
> the Linksys 54g and XP would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Neil

=?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?=

Thanks Joseph,
I upgraded my adapter to handle WPA and have ironed out WPA security
problems. I am broadcasting the SSID. Connection speed is 54mps and signal
strength is maxed out, (I am only 8 feet away from my router at times when
the connection is lost.) I am not near my microwave or coreless phone. When
I created a new SSID, I changed the channel from 6 to 1 and still picked up
the neighboring SSID and lost internet connection. I have now changed the
wireless properties by unchecking the "let windows configure or set the
wireless connection" or something like that. It seems to be stable after
that... we'll see.

Thanks again,