Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can I uplink router to wireless router?

Can I uplink router to wireless router?

02befree

I need 7 computers on a network.
I have a Linksys 4 port router uplinked to a 8 port hub and it's working
great (also has a VOIP box on it)
I want to add a Dlink wireless 4 port router to get wireless access, and
this router doesn't have an Uplink port, but the Linksys does, as does the
hub. ???

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

Because the Linksys and Dlink routers are switches and not hubs, you don't
need an uplink port. Just plug your ethernet cable into any port on both
routers (except WAN).

"02befree" wrote:

> I need 7 computers on a network.
> I have a Linksys 4 port router uplinked to a 8 port hub and it's working
> great (also has a VOIP box on it)
> I want to add a Dlink wireless 4 port router to get wireless access, and
> this router doesn't have an Uplink port, but the Linksys does, as does the
> hub. ???

02befree

Still not sure what the uplink port is for or when to use it.?

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because the Linksys and Dlink routers are switches and not hubs, you don't
> need an uplink port. Just plug your ethernet cable into any port on both
> routers (except WAN).
>
> "02befree" wrote:
>
> > I need 7 computers on a network.
> > I have a Linksys 4 port router uplinked to a 8 port hub and it's working
> > great (also has a VOIP box on it)
> > I want to add a Dlink wireless 4 port router to get wireless access, and
> > this router doesn't have an Uplink port, but the Linksys does, as does

the
> > hub. ???

Jack

Hi

You do not need an Uplink port in order to connect two hubs or switches, by
choosing the right type of CAT5e cable you can connect any compatible ports.

Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#crossover

However, connecting two Routers in order to take advantage of the extra
Switch's ports is more than just having a cable. Since Routers might be
configured with different IP addresses, and contain LAN Devices like DHCP
Server, you have to configure the Routers as well.

This page describes the principle, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"02befree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need 7 computers on a network.
> I have a Linksys 4 port router uplinked to a 8 port hub and it's working
> great (also has a VOIP box on it)
> I want to add a Dlink wireless 4 port router to get wireless access, and
> this router doesn't have an Uplink port, but the Linksys does, as does the
> hub. ???

02befree

This says port to port needs a crossover. ???
First Step: Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that
the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router),
change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the
main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP
that doesn't conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP
server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the
old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are
assigned correctly.

Example:

- Main Router's base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of
192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150

- Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base
address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250

Second Step: Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router, and set
to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main
Router.

Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port,
using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).