Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Invalid key in xp pro

Invalid key in xp pro

Legs11

When i try to activate my xp pro compaq disk i get invalid Key and its a
LEGAL copy

I installed xp with my compaq xp pro disk but theres a Compaq recovery disk
should i use the recovery disk first in the installation? to activate
properly?

S.SubZero

(This is a group specifically for 64-bit Windows)

The way XP works, the disc will only allow keys specific to the type
of install disc it is. It could be a retail disc, like one you buy in
a store, or an OEM disc, like one provided by Dell or HP or whoever.
It could also be a "volume" disc, which is used for installing XP in
corporate or other environments where one disc is used on many
computers. The discs for each of these have different code on them so
they will only accept those specific types of keys. You cannot use
the key printed on a sticker on your Compaq PC with a retail XP disc.

Are you using a different disc than the one that came with your
computer?

Legs11

Since microsoft wont provide me with another key im moving to ubuntu

"S.SubZero" wrote:

> (This is a group specifically for 64-bit Windows)
>
> The way XP works, the disc will only allow keys specific to the type
> of install disc it is. It could be a retail disc, like one you buy in
> a store, or an OEM disc, like one provided by Dell or HP or whoever.
> It could also be a "volume" disc, which is used for installing XP in
> corporate or other environments where one disc is used on many
> computers. The discs for each of these have different code on them so
> they will only accept those specific types of keys. You cannot use
> the key printed on a sticker on your Compaq PC with a retail XP disc.
>
> Are you using a different disc than the one that came with your
> computer?

Ralph

If your machine and disc is Compaq, it shouldn't ask for activation.
Either the install didn't happen correctly, or there's another problem.
Contact Compaq.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...