Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Quicktime

Reply
Thread Tools

Quicktime

 
 
Shelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a browser
where the user does not have Quicktime installed? I googled, but all I saw
was about embedding Quicktime in a web page.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007

"Shelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed? I googled, but
> all I saw was about embedding Quicktime in a web page.


Metaphor:

Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

No.

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
rf wrote:

>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?

>
> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?


Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Dylan Parry wrote:
> rf wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
>>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?

>>
>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

>
> Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.


I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
Quicktime on his machine.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan Parry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Shelly wrote:

> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
> Quicktime on his machine.


Heh! In which case, I'd go with Richard's answer: no

--
Dylan Parry
http://electricfreedom.org | http://webpageworkshop.co.uk

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Shelly wrote:
> Dylan Parry wrote:
>> rf wrote:
>>
>>>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
>>>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?
>>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

>> Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
>> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
>> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
>> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.


I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
>
> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
> Quicktime on his machine.


No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
with any other proprietary file format...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Shelly wrote:
>> Dylan Parry wrote:
>>> rf wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
>>>>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?
>>>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?
>>> Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
>>> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
>>> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
>>> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

>
> I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
>>
>> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
>> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
>> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
>> Quicktime on his machine.

>
> No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
> with any other proprietary file format...


Can't you do something with content negotiation?

If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
Ben C wrote:
> On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Shelly wrote:
>>> Dylan Parry wrote:
>>>> rf wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
>>>>>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?
>>>>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?
>>>> Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
>>>> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
>>>> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
>>>> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

>> I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
>>> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
>>> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
>>> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
>>> Quicktime on his machine.

>> No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
>> with any other proprietary file format...

>
> Can't you do something with content negotiation?
>
> If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
> then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
> another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?


That would have to be done client side, the server does not know nor
should it, what you have installed on your computer. Maybe Ajax. But
anyway whether it is MOV, AVI, MPEG the client is going to have to have
some type of application or plugin in order to view the file...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Shelly wrote:
> >> Dylan Parry wrote:
> >>> rf wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
> >>>>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?
> >>>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?
> >>> Yes, using a receiver and a projector Likewise, one can view
> >>> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
> >>> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
> >>> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

> >
> > I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
> >>
> >> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
> >> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
> >> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
> >> Quicktime on his machine.

> >
> > No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
> > with any other proprietary file format...

>
> Can't you do something with content negotiation?
>
> If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
> then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
> another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?


Indeed this is good advice. So many folks on Windows simply
cannot see .mov movies, I had a case of a woman the other day
saying she heard the soundtrack but not the visual of some film I
made. She was half way there in her "content-negotiation"!

The other thing I have done is give an explicit link with some
blah about QT being free, to download and install the QT player.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2007
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
> > then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
> > another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?

>
> Indeed this is good advice.


I did not read this right, it suggested (to me) providing another
formatted film as alternative (I read JL's comment on this and
realised)... know nothing about this technical server business...

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox 0.8 insists on Quicktime for MPG files Noozer Firefox 7 12-14-2007 09:41 PM
QuickTime plugin gadge Firefox 1 04-10-2005 08:56 PM
Quicktime bar Zingaro Firefox 3 03-01-2005 07:47 AM
Firefox and Quicktime Spike Firefox 7 12-02-2004 01:35 AM
Mozilla, Quicktime, and file extensions Matt O'Toole Firefox 0 12-07-2003 08:47 PM



Advertisments